First work of the season

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, finally, it is time to start working on trees up here.... Unfortuntley, I let most of my trees go last season and many have grown wild and almost reverted back to bushes..On the bright side, the trees gained some great strength being left to just grow.

This is a literati I have been training for about 3 1/2 years... A relatively young juniper for a literati, maybe 10-12 years old, but it is coming along nicely. Very nice movement on this one. It is about 12 inches tall. The original nursery stock was about 22 inches tall.

Here are some pics. The first was how the tree originally came to me 3 1/2 years ago. The second pic is how it looked coming out of winter storage last week. It took about 5 1/2 hours over 2 days to wire and prune. Well, 1 tree down about 11 more to go..lol

Victrinia.... Do you rememebr this tree?:)

Rob

Attachments

• PC280532.jpg
    PC280532.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 195
  • pictures2 003.jpg
    pictures2 003.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 187
  • Copy of pictures2 023.jpg
    Copy of pictures2 023.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 237
  • pictures2 012.jpg
    pictures2 012.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 184
  • pictures2 023.jpg
    pictures2 023.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 202

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Brian and Si... The tree has some pretty nice characteristics, as it ages, it should only get better.

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Robbie... how could I forget the tree seeing as how I bought it and sent it to you?? lol

What I love most about it is how it just fools the eye about it's size... it looks like it could be a great deal bigger than it is... but that's just a testiment to your excellent work with it.

I love this tree... mostly because of all the discussion we had about it when you started on it. I think I still have all the photos of the iterations before you settled on this one. It was amusing because it just kept getting more and more spare until we both we quite satisfied. And now it's filling out so nicely. It's just lovely. :)

V

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you all for the nice comments

Hello Victrinia....The tree is very happy now that it is was it was always meant to be...a literati.. although a young specimen....There is no denying that is what it should be....

As you know, I have said for years that every tree deserves to be the best bonsai it can...I don't think that trees should be compared to other trees. Not all trees are going to match up to 400 year old dead wood masterpieces...Some do not have to be..but just have that something that makes the viewer stop and say..."nice little tree"

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When it comes to finding the best tree within the material, I've always admired what you do with shohin and other smaller trees... it's quite believeable and definitely makes me think "nice little tree"... :)

V

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you very much Miss vic.. I highly respect your opinion...

I know that several years ago I had mentioned to you, even when you were a beginner, that you would have a tree in a famous colection someday..(pacific rim etc)... Now, you already have an azalea going into an exhibition....See....I stand stand by my ability to judge great future talent when I see it..

Rob:)

Reaction score
Very nice, if I see a tree like that in a nursery would normally pass by, just goes to show what you can do with imagination and skill

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you daviddavid_007.. I think it is actually a kishu shimpku, but I am not sure...

Rob

Top Bottom