first year in a 1/3 barrel Bald Cypress

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is my 8 ft tall BC after a summer in a one third 55 gallon barrel ..I know this winter I will root prune it again ..I certainly don't have a shortage of branches ..My goal was to increase the trunk diameter ..and now I have some fluting
I May keep it this tall with its nice taper it has developed ..
So for all those who recommended the 1/3 barrel with no drain holes just side holesIMG_1826.jpgIMG_1824.jpg Thank you

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is where I started after chopping off about 6 feet of a nursery stock tree
This summer i was quite amused when I had a bird nest in my bonsai IMG_4167.jpg

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No its just a big mass of root and dirt ... I left them to help the tree grow in the barrel, it was a 15 gal nursery tree .. I wanted other fine roots to form before I decided what to do with them

I will need a more severe clip of the top and the roots this winter to strengthen any lower branches i want to keep and to curtail its height ..

It too bad on the top, it has made a nice taper .just at 6 feet though ..I probably should have cut it last summer

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
No its just a big mass of root and dirt ... I left them to help the tree grow in the barrel, it was a 15 gal nursery tree .. I wanted other fine roots to form before I decided what to do with them

I will need a more severe clip of the top and the roots this winter to strengthen any lower branches i want to keep and to curtail its height ..

It too bad on the top, it has made a nice taper .just at 6 feet though ..I probably should have cut it last summer

Ground layer?

Screenshot_20191207-174035_Chrome.jpg

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
"Ground layer?"

Thank you Jonathan..I like it That certainly does put it into focus ..Something I had dismissed till now just focusing on getting the tree to grow

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
"I like Johnathan's idea, a good spot to ground layer it at."

Yes Thanks Leo ..It will be big consideration as I root trim this winter ..and take some off the top

Top Bottom