Firstbranchbonsai purchase

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Purchased this Picea Pungens from Todd Schlafer’s Firstbranchbonsai page. 3.5 inches at the base, 18” tall, nice movement and bark (bad pics).

It was my first time purchasing from Todd, he was great to work with. Quick responses to my questions, and he did a great job protecting the tree during shipping. Would definitely purchase from him again.

Attachments

• EFA47C27-0536-410A-89D2-EE1E600112AE.jpeg
    EFA47C27-0536-410A-89D2-EE1E600112AE.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 59A581AD-BC90-4BCA-B668-ED080A4BF5A4.jpeg
    59A581AD-BC90-4BCA-B668-ED080A4BF5A4.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 177
  • E83941C8-1103-4ED5-8664-8EAA3A5027F7.jpeg
    E83941C8-1103-4ED5-8664-8EAA3A5027F7.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 165

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I worked with Todd years ago when I lived in Colorado, and I concur. Good guy. Good trees.

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To keep track of this one....spring work complete. Initial working, rough structure set, will grow freely this season with plans to repot spring 2020.
9738407B-5CCB-479D-929A-9CF4F5960178.jpeg5957FFA3-A566-4E0E-B813-C2CB5195265B.jpeg

If only I could take a good picture....

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I removed a lot...but the (bad) pic hides depth, there’s more green left than represented in the picture.

Feel confident with the action, this tree has been growing untouched for three years since collection. Pot is packed with roots, time will tell.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you took too much off at once. Be careful with watering and it may survive. As it stands now, you probably should not repot next year but in 2 or 3 years. An alternative approach could have been to repot this spring with all the foliage intact to drive the recovery of the root system. It may very well be that for the design you have in mind, all that was removed could not be used. What you could have done after the repot is pinch the new growth on these sacrificial areas treating them as if they were in refinement but knowing that in a year or two they will be removed. With that approach they would be contributing to the creation of resources that would make the root system recover and the growth stronger and faster in the areas you want to develop. This alternative approach is far less risky and would have saved you at least 3 years.

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My thought process was to do the hard styling while the tree has the most roots....which is now....it will never have more roots than it has currently/this growing season.

I thought about reporting first. And waiting on styling. That would’ve meant doing a hard styling in the future on a tree with much fewer roots, even after its established, given a proper pot will be at least 50% smaller than the training container it’s been in since colllection.

Anyway - Will update either way ?.

Gaijin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My thought process was to do the hard styling while the tree has the most roots....which is now....it will never have more roots than it has currently/this growing season.

I thought about reporting first. And waiting on styling. That would’ve meant doing a hard styling in the future on a tree with much fewer roots, even after its established, given a proper pot will be at least 50% smaller than the training container it’s been in since colllection.

Anyway - Will update either way ?.
it's been a little over a year.....any updates? pictures? has the tree survived?

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it's been a little over a year.....any updates? pictures? has the tree survived?

Going good so far. It pushed strong in spring 2019. Reported it this spring, will let it grow unchecked for at least a year, possibly until early fall 2021 before I touch it again.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have seen full rooted spruce in Christmas tree plantations get “high stumped” where they cut just 6 feet of the top for a sale-able tree and the trees come back from 1 bud. I’m not worried about your tree.

I need to find the farmer for a scanky tree plantation I drive by about once a month. There is some potential out there.

Gaijin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Going good so far. It pushed strong in spring 2019. Reported it this spring, will let it grow unchecked for at least a year, possibly until early fall 2021 before I touch it again.
Good to know. I got one from Andy Smith last year that I plan on working on in 2021. The consensus seemed to be that you pushed the tree pretty hard, so I just wondered if it survived and all. Thanks for the update.

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I waited until I saw back budding on old wood as the sign it was safe to start working the tree. Took three growing seasons post collection before mine did that.

Top Bottom