Fish Emulsion and Nematodes

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have seen here and elsewhere people using fish emulsion not only for the macro/micronutrients and soil conditioning benefits to bonsai, but also to prevent bad nematodes and root issues (galls).
If I am not mistaken @sorce is an enthusiastic user of fish fertilizer.
1-) I can find here two types of the same product, one foliar, the other via soil; besides the smell, are there significant differences in the results?
2-) Are they really effective against bad nematodes (thinking about my Japanese Quince...)?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah there's fish fertilizer, and then there's fish fertilizer. Some industrial made ones has chemicals added to it, or made by using some kind of chemical process. Some are over heated...killing the very life you want preserved. There are some well made ones available, but you'll have to do your research.
To be sure I know what I have, I make my own. It's very simple. I used this recipe last year.
https://www.koanga.org.nz/blog/fish-fertiliser-recipe/
The recipe includes adding lacto bacilli bacteria. I didn't have that, so I added a handful of well made home made sifted compost. When it's finally broken down well, it don't smell at all.
It not only provides a good amount of N and all the micro nutrients, but also other elements that the usual fertilizers don't have. Elements that mostly feed the microbial life. The tree as a consequence benefits from it too.
It's the balanced biological diversity in the soil, that protects the tree from pests, deseases...and pathogens.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Yeah there's fish fertilizer, and then there's fish fertilizer. There are some well made ones available, but you'll have to do your research.

Well, the best one rated 5 star here is made by a company based in the Amazon rainforest and is natural and organic, no chemicals added. I will try it for sure.

Thanks for the link, very useful!

The recipe includes adding lacto bacilli bacteria.

Yes, I can get some here, thanks a lot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I scored 2 gallons of Alaska fish on the free a couple 3 years ago. On my most determined year, using it every third day, I found a noticeable increase in that underlying health that Peter Warren talks about, especially through the next winter.

Running low, I'll probably get it again, but I want to try the cold pressed seaweed too.

Thinking about 3 fish, seaweed, and Garden tone, or Biotone or vegi tone or whatever tone is available and cheap, since that year was also good.

Keep it stank! 👃👈

Sorce

Top Bottom