Fish Hydrolysate Smell VS Fish Emulsion Smell

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
I just started using a fish hydrolysate product made from fish, crab and shrimp. It's my first time using a fish product and.........this shit stankkkkk!!!!!!

Can anyone who has used fish hydrolysate try to explain what it smelled like? I'm paranoid because I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive to the smell, or if I got a bad batch. It definitely smells fishy, but it has a deeper odor that I can't quite explain. The odor definitely grabs your attention, and it actually ended up taking my appetite away for a few hours. The smell only lasted for a few hours overall, which is a good sign I think.

Can anyone explain the difference in smell between fish emulsion and fish hydrolysate?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually just top my soil and foliar feed with a couple of whole raw fish from the monger.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They all stink, and the kelp/seaweed too!
My kelp does not stink in granular or liquid form. I wouldn't say it smells pleasant, but not noticeable in my greenhouse, or as on my houseplants. Fulmic and Humic acid also have no noticeable odor. I'm a fisherman and I bury fish in my garden, about a foot deep or the critters find it. That night.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My kelp does not stink in granular or liquid form. I wouldn't say it smells pleasant, but not noticeable in my greenhouse, or as on my houseplants. Fulmic and Humic acid also have no noticeable odor. I'm a fisherman and I bury fish in my garden, about a foot deep or the critters find it. That night.

I like the smell of my studio when I water with kelp, but the rest of the family feel differently.😆

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
My liquid kelp doesn't smell either. I use Kelp from Kelpak and it actually doesn't smell offensive at all. I actually kinda like the smell.

I contacted the manufacturer of my hydrolysate. They told me it should smell like bad yeast, but with a deeper, more haunting smell...that explains it. I learned that if I keep the big bucket of it covered while I'm watering, it helps out tremendously in keeping the smell down. Also, a super light sprinkle of fresh water after applying seems to help too

Bezalel Nebari

Sapling
Reaction score
I don’t use it anymore. It attracted several rodents I did not want hanging around.
That is one of my worries, because I'm using it indoors. So far, no issues. And like I said, the smell disappears after about 2 hours or so. But I am keeping an eye out for that. Been using organic fertilizer for a little while now and haven't had any rodent issues, but the fish hydrolysate is a newer addition to my regimen.

The day I see a raccoon in my living room, I'm pulling the plug for sure.

Top Bottom