Fish tank for trees during winter?

Dru924

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, just got into bonsai over the summer and have started a collection. Some of my trees won’t tolerate our Minnesota zone 4 temperatures. Was wondering if I could essentially, use a spare 40 gallon tank as a makeshift green house for my trees and leave it outside all through winter. Maybe add a heating pad if needed. Just asking if anyone has ever done so? Good idea or bad idea?

The trees I’m more concerned about are my:
- 2 Satsuki Azaleas
- 2 Japanese maples
- 1 cryptomeria japonica tansu
- 2 Korean Maples
- New Zealand Tea Tree
- Dawn redwood

They’re all very young and can fit inside the tank snug. Was thinking of adding a good layer of mulch/insulation around them as well. Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Bad idea. The glass doesn’t have any insulating capacity, so it will get hot in the sun and cold at night, with no air circulation to boot. If you have a recessed basement window, you’d be better off making a cold frame outside that you can open the window a bit to warm. Any chance you have a garage? Those trees are all temperate-zone trees, so you’ll have to do something, but I don’t think an aquarium is it.

Dru924

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bad idea. The glass doesn’t have any insulating capacity, so it will get hot in the sun and cold at night, with no air circulation to boot. If you have a recessed basement window, you’d be better off making a cold frame outside that you can open the window a bit to warm. Any chance you have a garage? Those trees are all temperate-zone trees, so you’ll have to do something, but I don’t think an aquarium is it.
Thanks for the super quick reply. Good to know. I was thinking how good of an idea it was but glad I asked lol.

I have an unheated attached garage and a second unheated unattached garage but is insulated as well. The unattached garage has an east facing window. Think the second garage will work? I have plenty of room in there.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
New Zealand Tea Tree - does it survive under water or partially submerged ?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Korean maples can handle zone 4 winters. Just put the pot on the ground on the north side of a building, wall, or picket fence and mulch it in.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Putting glass tanks out in freezing weather is not that good for the connection between the glass panels. The bottom will probably shatter if water pools a little.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Glasshouse relies on size to collect and store enough daytime heat to last all night. Insulating materials help reduce heat loss, thermal mass holds heat longer but small size glass containers just cannot hold enough heat to stay warm all night.
Definitely look for alternative solutions.

New Zealand Tea Tree - does it survive under water or partially submerged ?
Why has NZ Tea tree appeared in overwintering in Minnesota thread?
All trees can survive short periods of inundation. Sounds like NZ is getting as wet as over here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
An unheated garage is actually a pretty good idea for anything that needs dormancy periods. You'd be surprised how much warmer than the surrounding environment it stays, isn't there some old quote about any shelter in a storm? We live in pretty approximate climates, even when its about -20 F out its still about 15~20 in the garage. I've also heard stories of rodents going at practitioners material during the dormancy months and practically destroying collections, so provided your garage is well constructed it should reduce the odds of that as well.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the super quick reply. Good to know. I was thinking how good of an idea it was but glad I asked lol.

I have an unheated attached garage and a second unheated unattached garage but is insulated as well. The unattached garage has an east facing window. Think the second garage will work? I have plenty of room in there.
Yes, the garage with a window would be best. Just keep a good eye on watering, and mist the trees somewhat regularly to increase humidity.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The trees I’m more concerned about are my:
- 2 Satsuki Azaleas
- 2 Japanese maples
- 1 cryptomeria japonica tansu
- 2 Korean Maples
- New Zealand Tea Tree
- Dawn redwood

Why has NZ Tea tree appeared in overwintering in Minnesota thread?

Listed in the first posting wasn't it ?

Top Bottom