Fisher's Elms

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Steve Austin was pretty good, no doubt. But yeah, a little after my time as I was a big WCW fan in my youth......ya' caught me!!! ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

No better professional wrestler than Ric Flair, however!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ric flair.gif

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Steve Austin was pretty good, no doubt. But yeah, a little after my time as I was a big WCW fan in my youth......ya' caught me!!! ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

No better professional wrestler than Ric Flair, however!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 375665
big ultimate warrior guy here

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my youth I was a huge Superfly Snuka fan. As an adult, Stone Cold, the Rock and Mick Foley made me laugh hard. Haven't watched in years though.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Truth, I have a family member (2nd cousin) that wrestled in the WCW and WWF. He was Shanghai Pierce in the WCW and Henry O. Godwin in the WWF. I think at one point he was even tag team Champs. He fueded with the Road Warriors, The Undertaker and Triple H. The Road Warriors broke his neck with that close line off the shoulders thing they did.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh man. I hated Ric Flair so much. Loved Bushwhackers, lex Lugor, Brutus the barber beefcake, Jake the snake Robertโ€™s, Def loved jimmy supa fly snuka. I remember liking sting, then hating sting when NWO became a thing. And naturally I had an affinity for Brett the hitman hart. I used to tell people I was in the Hart foundation.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh man. I hated Ric Flair so much. Loved Bushwhackers, lex Lugor, Brutus the barber beefcake, Jake the snake Robertโ€™s, Def loved jimmy supa fly snuka. I remember liking sting, then hating sting when NWO became a thing. And naturally I had an affinity for Brett the hitman hart. I used to tell people I was in the Hart foundation.
i was a big fan of it during that era, i liked all them guys too.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My last elm that I haven't updated is the Cedar Elm that I purchased from @Zach Smith in 2019. This is the tree shortly after it came to me.

2019-09-01 13.41.13.jpg

I worked with it in 2019 and 2020. I removed the left middle branch that was coming out of the trunk right in front, under the chop site, because it seemed awkward. Nothing popped in the right place, so I tried a thread graft to replace it, which ultimately failed. The 2 lower branches were also coming out of the back of the tree and were bent around to serve as side branches. In 2d they look pretty good, but in 3d it seemed a little off. Here is the tree last winter. You can see the thread graft that never got going.

20201123_082243.jpeg

I ultimately decided a bold move was in order. I wasn't crazy about the base, so the thought kept creeping in that I should try to ground layer it. Then, the thought that I could stand it up straight and create a cool broom form tree out of it sealed the deal. I was embiggened by my success with my little winged elm broom that got the same treatment a few years ago. It started like this:

2017-07-22 11.58.17.jpg

And looks like this now:

20210517_162106.jpeg

Anyway, back to the cedar elm. Last winter, I hacked off all the branches and chopped the trunk below the old chop mark. Then this spring, I did the ground layer. For a while, i thought I killed it, but eventually it shot out new growth from around the new chop site. This is the tree today.

20210604_121541.jpg

I might have ruined a pretty nice tree, but then again, maybe it'll turn out even better. Keep your fingers crossed for roots on the layer, because I haven't seen any yet.

Attachments

• 2018-07-22 11.13.06.jpg
    2018-07-22 11.13.06.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 10

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My last elm that I haven't updated is the Cedar Elm that I purchased from @Zach Smith in 2019. This is the tree shortly after it came to me.

View attachment 378916

I worked with it in 2019 and 2020. I removed the left middle branch that was coming out of the trunk right in front, under the chop site, because it seemed awkward. Nothing popped in the right place, so I tried a thread graft to replace it, which ultimately failed. The 2 lower branches were also coming out of the back of the tree and were bent around to serve as side branches. In 2d they look pretty good, but in 3d it seemed a little off. Here is the tree last winter. You can see the thread graft that never got going.

View attachment 378922

I ultimately decided a bold move was in order. I wasn't crazy about the base, so the thought kept creeping in that I should try to ground layer it. Then, the thought that I could stand it up straight and create a cool broom form tree out of it sealed the deal. I was embiggened by my success with my little winged elm broom that got the same treatment a few years ago. It started like this:

View attachment 378928

And looks like this now:

View attachment 378930

Anyway, back to the cedar elm. Last winter, I hacked off all the branches and chopped the trunk below the old chop mark. Then this spring, I did the ground layer. For a while, i thought I killed it, but eventually it shot out new growth from around the new chop site. This is the tree today.

View attachment 378918

I might have ruined a pretty nice tree, but then again, maybe it'll turn out even better. Keep your fingers crossed for roots on the layer, because I haven't seen any yet.
You'll probably have to wait for a while after the foliar growth for the roots to appear, Dan. I don't know when you started the layer, but with foliage on the tree they usually take six weeks or more.

Bold move, Dude!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You'll probably have to wait for a while after the foliar growth for the roots to appear, Dan. I don't know when you started the layer, but with foliage on the tree they usually take six weeks or more.

Bold move, Dude!
Thanks Zach, I'll just let the tree grow as wild as it wants and hope for roots. By the way, no offense meant to you by deciding to change your design.

Top Bottom