Five favorite trees of all time.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to start a thread on everyone's favorite trees. They don't have to be your own. (None of mine will). Just a picture and maybe a few words explaining why.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm starting at number 5 and working my way up.
I like this tree for the elegance. This is or was a beautiful tree. Not powerful. Just plain breathtaking!
Deshojo Japanese Maple.

Attachments

• IMG_20140318_220000.jpg
    IMG_20140318_220000.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 272

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My number 4 tree is also a tree everyone has seen.
This is the epitome of Walter Pall's naturistic style. How many maples grow like this? Thousands. I see trees that look like this all over.
Japanese Maple.

Attachments

• IMG_20140318_215803.jpg
    IMG_20140318_215803.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 288

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Number 3 comes from a member here. What do you know? Another japanese maple. Mach 5 does some superb work!
Pygmy Japanese Maple.

Attachments

• SHARPSFALLSEQUENCEshortversion_zpsbb514341-1.jpg
    SHARPSFALLSEQUENCEshortversion_zpsbb514341-1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 263

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Number 2 is one that a lot of people are going to choose also. What can be said about Goshen. It's magnificent!
John Naka's Goshen. Juniper forest.

Attachments

• IMG_20140318_215936.jpg
    IMG_20140318_215936.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 243

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally my number 1.
This tree is also from a member here. This tree will always be number 1 in my book. It is the first bonsai besides my own that I ever saw in person. It has something about it that I can't quite explain. It draws me in. It looks like a tree stugging against nature. It's not pretty but at the same time it's beautiful.

Vance Wood's quasi-raft. Mugo pine.

Attachments

• IMG_20140628_103422_877.jpg
    IMG_20140628_103422_877.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 364

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My number 4 tree is also a tree everyone has seen.
This is the epitome of Walter Pall's naturistic style. How many maples grow like this? Thousands. I see trees that look like this all over.
Japanese Maple.

This one has always been right at the top of my list! Walter Paul just nailed it with this tree! Changed my whole thought process about how to style a deciduous tree... You just don't see many people why party AND SUCCEED at making a Bonsai look like a real tree... This one does it. People have faulted the long straight upper trunk lines in this design which are evident when the leaves are off, but that just adds to the effect in my book. How many natural trees growing like this one have long, straight trunks in the upper part of the crown? Damn near every single one of them! He captured that feature without making it an eye sore... The base is expertly down, the root spread is perfect, the ramification is exceptional and the tree is easily one of the best Maples in the world. I much prefer this style to the "pancake" root spread topped with a snaking single trunk line that has been so popular at many nurseries in Japan.

Your number one pick seems more of a sentimental pick than a serious competitor for the best Bonsai you have ever seen, but I cannot fault you for the choice. The first Bonsai you see in person makes an impact, no doubt! I remember the first time I went to my Buddy Ken's house or to john G's... It was absolutely unreal! To a see there were actually people in my area who were not only into this "bonsai thing" like me, but INSANELY GOOD AT IT... It was like a dream sort of. Every time I get a chance to be around them and their trees is a real gift and if I had some more pics of their trees I'd show a couple here... Ken has some of the best Crepe Myrtle bonsai I have ever seen, a couple GORGEOUS pines and so many Maples it will make your head spin.. and John- we all know about his Bald Cypress- has easily the best JWP I have seen in person. They each have so many great trees it would be hard for me to whittle it down to just two or three to include in a list like this, but I think what you- and I- value most in those examples would be the EXPERIENCE... The feeling of seeing great trees in person for the first time, and getting to speak with the owners and ask questions and make friends with someone who has a common interest in a hobby that can feel kind of lonely sometimes (in my neck of the woods... Yes I know place like Cali and many larger cities have very active Bonsai communities). That means so much more than just getting to see a picture of a great tree sitting on a bench or in a show half way around the world.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sentiment may have something to do with my number 1 pick Eric. But it is an awesome tree in its own right. Great tree from a great guy.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lodgepole Pine

No idea why but I am drawn to this little pine.

Attachments

• lodgepole pine.jpg
    lodgepole pine.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 262

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Funny thing. 25 years ago I bought a bonsai book that had photos of classic bonsai. One bonsai stood out to me as being the "ultimate" bonsai. I would stare at the photo and think "wow if only I could get a tree that looked like THAT".

The book went on the shelf for about 20 years, though I still remembered the tree. A few years ago as I was cleaning up my office, I bumped into the book, and went to look at the tree again. I couldn't find it. My appreciation of bonsai has changed. I can't find any one tree in that book that stands out as being the "ultimate" bonsai. It was a funny feeling - I had forgotten why I liked one single tree more than the others.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Currently, subject to change, and in no particular order:
Mike Hagedorn's RMJ
clump-style arakawa maple from last year's Taiken-ten
Twin trunk Chinese Quince from last year's Taiken-ten
2 shimpakus from the Shinpuku-ji Temple

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 273

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wish I could attach names of makers to all these, I only know that the Hackberry is Ben Oki's and that both it and the Tucker Oak are on display at whatever they are calling the Weyerhaeuser collection these days.
Of course I think I need a second post, as I have more than 5....

Attachments

• Tucker Oak.jpg
    Tucker Oak.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 217
  • hackberry_sm.jpg
    hackberry_sm.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_4208w.jpg
    DSC_4208w.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_4198w.jpg
    DSC_4198w.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 230

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These and the above photos are not in any order, and I have a file filled with more inspirational trees, that I love. The second one is a Walter Pall tree, I do hope it's ok to share this lovely trident maple here. The third one is certainly in the top 2, and I don't even know where I pulled that shot from. Anyone know this tree or who's tree it is, and even what it may be?

Attachments

• 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 205
  • QDSC_8479DNGofw.jpg
    QDSC_8479DNGofw.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 216
  • QDSC_9983w.jpg
    QDSC_9983w.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 221
  • RDSC_0008w.jpg
    RDSC_0008w.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Lee Brindley

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wish I could attach names of makers to all these, I only know that the Hackberry is Ben Oki's and that both it and the Tucker Oak are on display at whatever they are calling the Weyerhaeuser collection these days.
Of course I think I need a second post, as I have more than 5....

First one is called "The Fat Guy" Hawthorn by Tony Tickle.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Narrowing it down to just five...

Fifth...
The literati/bunjin no clue as to history on this one. Found it on Pinterest. (Not sure I've labeled right :confused: )

Forth since the two tied...
(ASIA Pacific Bonsai Friendship Federation 2013) bonsai show in the Philippines. /. Root over rock...impressive!

These two tie for second...
63pmp / Paul's Wisteria
ABCarve / Dave's Rosemary

First...
Sam's bougainvillea I could spam you with a series of his. But will refrain...though most know my heart lies with bougainvilleas. I am just drawn to them...and their meaning for myself. Victrinia has an amazing Bougie as well...that has a very special story. They all are #1!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sentiment may have something to do with my number 1 pick Eric. But it is an awesome tree in its own right. Great tree from a great guy.

Well I certainly didn't mean the comment to be a criticism of the tree... At worst I would only "criticize" it to say that is not one of the five best bonsai I have ever seen, but that is not really an insult in any way as I have seen thousands and thousands, and most of what we view images of online and in books are probably the best of the best...

Vance has some nice trees, and this is one of them... I am sure they are even more impressive in person.

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not in any specific order, but starting at 5 is Walter Pall's Chinese juniper (pfizteriana I think). It wasn't until I saw pictures of this tree that I think I truly came to appreciate deadwood. The wild and rugged deadwood on it makes it seem very strong. It's hard to articulate, but it really moves me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 174

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I certainly didn't mean the comment to be a criticism of the tree... At worst I would only "criticize" it to say that is not one of the five best bonsai I have ever seen, but that is not really an insult in any way as I have seen thousands and thousands, and most of what we view images of online and in books are probably the best of the best...

Vance has some nice trees, and this is one of them... I am sure they are even more impressive in person.

Never thought you were. At all Eric. Everything's cool.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Four is a Robert Steven designed windswept landscape. Maybe you could call it penjing. I am not sure of the species. Seeing this one and some of his others really blew my mind. I haven't seen windswept done very well except by another guy from Indonesia (Jun on IBC).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 181

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Three is Rob/October's bunjin juniper. It has such an elegant feel. His trees always have such a delicate styling to them. It's always a joy to see him post another.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 173
Top Bottom