Five favorite trees of all time.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm a new guy, so my taste is still developing. I took a trip to the Bonsai museum in DC a few weeks back, and this Bald Cypress stuck out to me. It may be just the first Bald Cypress I've seen in person, so I'll have to see more to verify this one is a cut above. A leafed out version can be seen here. I actually think the professional picture does not do it justice. The taper makes it appear so massive in person. I'm sure I'll pick a different tree as my favorite every time I go there, but this one currently holds the title.

P.s. There is a legitimate photo shoot going on in the background.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 158
Reaction score
So I am still new, and I bet you all have seen these before lol, but in any event, these I see a lot and they are stunning to me, there are so many out there but these I really like. The forest is an alberta spruce one, and I just love how whoever owns this, has managed to place and shape them in the way they have, I suspect this takes a lot of skill. Clearly, none of these are mine! haha

Attachments

• red maple.jpg
    red maple.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 147
  • bougainvillea.jpg
    bougainvillea.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 147
  • azalea.jpg
    azalea.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 146
  • alberta spruce forest.jpg
    alberta spruce forest.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 147
  • black pine 2.jpg
    black pine 2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 147

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are cool. I know the maple is a Walter Pall tree. Heard it's no longer with us. The bougainvillea is at a nursery in Australia called Bonsai North I believe. It's huge. There's an article on their website telling the whole story of this tree.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of my favorite trees, unfortunately, I don't have a picture of and can't find any online. From David Fukumoto's nursery in Hawaii. These are the next 5 though. It was tough to find a picture of Wu Chengfa's "Striking Energy"...the one I have on here needs a better background.

Looking at my selections for favorite trees...most of them are deciduous...Now it makes more sense to me why my collection is nearly all deciduous trees. Now it's pretty obvious I need more maples in my collection...especially root over rock maples.

This was a fun exercise! So hard to pick just 5 trees though...

Attachments

• 1500px-Japanese_Maple_bonsai,_2011-05-29.jpg
    1500px-Japanese_Maple_bonsai,_2011-05-29.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 6cbec588b5df1f28206f55997bb56e9b.jpg
    6cbec588b5df1f28206f55997bb56e9b.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Chinese_133_Acer_buergerianum_Lg.jpg
    Chinese_133_Acer_buergerianum_Lg.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Chinese_142_Acer_buergerianum_Lg.jpg
    Chinese_142_Acer_buergerianum_Lg.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 144
  • guangzhou-penjingi-exposition-1211.jpg
    guangzhou-penjingi-exposition-1211.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 145

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some things I like for 2016.

Some Japanese goods. Pictures were shared on Omiya Bonsai Art Museum FB page.
Not much details except that the first two are Japanese maples and the pine is a Japanese black pine.
12792119_415803315296443_3652499143158616686_o[1].jpg Japanese maple.jpg JBP.PNG

From @Jonas Dupuich 's blog. I actually found the image on his Smugmug page, and I only know that it's a Trident maple.
20140210-1232-Japan-XL.jpg

Work from Taiwan. Hsien Te Li. Hackberry, Celtis sinensis.
p29.jpg

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These and the above photos are not in any order, and I have a file filled with more inspirational trees, that I love. The second one is a Walter Pall tree, I do hope it's ok to share this lovely trident maple here. The third one is certainly in the top 2, and I don't even know where I pulled that shot from. Anyone know this tree or who's tree it is, and even what it may be?
I don't know the first 3 but the 4th one is Simon Temblett's willow.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My number 4 tree is also a tree everyone has seen.
This is the epitome of Walter Pall's naturistic style. How many maples grow like this? Thousands. I see trees that look like this all over.
Japanese Maple.

I've been admiring photos of this tree periodically for the past 10 years. It never fails to awe me. This amazing work of Walter Pall's is hands down my favorite.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I noticed the image and link were broken for this tree. I still have the photo saved on my phone as a reminder. I still enjoy this tree.
There are several trees that I am crazy about. I'm happy that I get to see them here. I don't get to see many in real life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 95

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree on my avatar is the first bonsai I started, it was the suggestion of a friend who said they would love a Wisteria Bonsai when I mentioned I would like to get one. I then proceeded to start this very one which at the time was a tiny sucker from my the one growing on parents trellis . BTW, after 15 years I have decided I will restyle this one since the two lowest branches have grown beyond the design of the tree and are far too thick.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 91

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate to say it but it's been brought to my attention on IBC that the trees from America and Europe in this thread are crap.
Apparently for a bonsai to be good it must be from Japan.
Also from what I'm hearing there are better examples of Walter Pall's maple and John Naka's Goshen in Japan right now.
Maybe @MichaelS will explain it all.
I'm blind and don't know shit.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hate to say it but it's been brought to my attention on IBC that the trees from America and Europe in this thread are crap.
Also from what I'm hearing there are better examples of Walter Pall's maple and John Naka's Goshen in Japan right now.
What on earth does this have to do with your 5 favs? I like this thread....no reason to start some off topic thing.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I read that over there. That thread, unfortunately, went to hell a few months ago. It doesn't appear to be turning around any time soon.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Favourite 5 is impossible but here's five Japanese ones that I would kill for....
Maybe this should be expanded to 5 fav juniper, 5 fav pine, 5 fav deciduous etc etc?

View attachment 97251 View attachment 97252 View attachment 97255 View attachment 97256 View attachment 97253

That big quince is a favorite of mine. I've been wanting to post it too. Wish that there were a better image.

Here's a couple more quinces. I got images off FB The Omiya Bonsai Art Museum, Saitama page.

The clump is also featured on Bill Valavanis' blog and identified as Toyo Nishiki.

12828356_420378838172224_7436187173112604109_o.jpg
12513916_420377718172336_174986401172171434_o.jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Why do all the branches on ume usually come out from one place? Is it just the style or some other issue?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I read that over there. That thread, unfortunately, went to hell a few months ago. It doesn't appear to be turning around any time soon.
It didn't "go to hell" on it's own, though, Arthur chose to take it in that direction.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this one, and Miros' little white birch.

e037_carpinus_betulus.jpg

Top Bottom