Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Esolin's Coast Live Oak #1

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The nursery stock I received for the contest was pretty young, so I'm going to throw in two older coast live oaks that I've had in pots for years. They come up like weeds around here, and I'd never considered making them into bonsai. I just pot them to get them out of the yard. But here's the first one. I trunk chopped it a week or two ago and it's just starting to push new growth. It's about an inch think at the top. Not sure how much I can do with it in five years, but it'll be fun to document its progress.
coast1-1.jpgcoast1-2.jpg

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s got tons of potential. ;) They grow fast in their native range,m. I’m sure you’ll have a fabulous tree in 5 years.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was worried when the initial buds failed that I'd killed this one. When I trunk chopped it, I'd also sawed off half the roots because it was terribly pot-bound. Essentially, I was very not nice to it. But it has since rebudded and started pushing growth. I'm not sure why the leaves have some deformation, but my first guess is fungal issues from over-watering it. It's had Agri-fos and Mancozeb treatments. I've moved it to a sunnier location and will be more mindful of soil moisture levels. I'll wire the growth in a few months--after it's gained some real momentum.

coast1-3.jpg

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think it's safe to say this one's happy now. Just leaving it alone to thicken up.

coast1-4.jpgcoast1-5.jpg

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
coast1-6.jpg
coast1-8.jpg

The branches have thickened alot. It's time to start considering the future design. I see two options:

coast1-7.jpg

Chop the low curvy branch now so it doesn't out-thicken the current main trunk, or remove the current main trunk and embrace a curvy new trunk. While I like curves, that route will leave a massive scar on the back side, and set the tree back further.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Quick update. I cut off both leaders to force backbudding lower down. I'm not seeing any good aesthetic designs in this piece right now, but maybe more branches will show more options. While the tree has thickened a lot since the start of this contest, based on it's current canopy progress (or lack thereof), I'm dropping this one out of the running and will not be updating this contest thread further. It may have a beautiful future design, but it's still a long ways off.

IMG_2288.jpg

Top Bottom