Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler’s Loblolly Pine

Gabler

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neat!

I’m excited to witness the documentation of it’s progression.

Thanks. I'm hoping I can get enough of the root ball this spring that I don't kill it. The tree has been replanted once, so the root ball should be relatively compact, but you can never know until you get in there, and pines really hate having their roots chopped back too hard. I'll defininitely need to use an oversized temporary pot to let the roots recover.

HorseloverFat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks. I'm hoping I can get enough of the root ball this spring that I don't kill it. The tree has been replanted once, so the root ball should be relatively compact, but you can never know until you get in there, and pines really hate having their roots chopped back too hard. I'll defininitely need to use an oversized temporary pot to let the roots recover.
Definitely.. that root-mass vs. mortality rate comparison is a real “nail-biter”

And conifers are SO passive aggressive.. they can take years to die from the point where you effectively “killed them”.. if enough is stored.

Pines also will often show little, even NO flush growth in the growing season following collection.. giving the IMPRESSION that they are CTD (circling the drain)...

So be patient, VERY slow to “act/perform” on him/her until you are SURE... Your tree will thank you.

And if you THINK it’s “on it’s way out”... just be patient... I’ve (others also) HAVE been surprised.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
oversized temporary pot
Tis a good idea.. remembering two things...

Don’t go too big.. you want the water to stay where it belongs. I’d say like a black 3-gallon Nursery equivalent.

Also collections need protection from vast swings in temperature around their root-masses, and ALSO benefit from warmer soil/substrate situations after collection... so like a black 3-gallon nursery container or equivalent...🤣

Dang.... really “pushing” those today..

People who didn’t know would assume that I SOLD black, 3-gallon nursery containers.

🤓

Gabler

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an old 15-gallon wash tub to use and a tractor with a bucket to lift a large rootball. I’ll dig in late March, probably, depending on the weather.

Top Bottom