Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler’s Loblolly Pine

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Neat!

I’m excited to witness the documentation of it’s progression.

Thanks. I'm hoping I can get enough of the root ball this spring that I don't kill it. The tree has been replanted once, so the root ball should be relatively compact, but you can never know until you get in there, and pines really hate having their roots chopped back too hard. I'll defininitely need to use an oversized temporary pot to let the roots recover.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks. I'm hoping I can get enough of the root ball this spring that I don't kill it. The tree has been replanted once, so the root ball should be relatively compact, but you can never know until you get in there, and pines really hate having their roots chopped back too hard. I'll defininitely need to use an oversized temporary pot to let the roots recover.
Definitely.. that root-mass vs. mortality rate comparison is a real “nail-biter”

And conifers are SO passive aggressive.. they can take years to die from the point where you effectively “killed them”.. if enough is stored.

Pines also will often show little, even NO flush growth in the growing season following collection.. giving the IMPRESSION that they are CTD (circling the drain)...

So be patient, VERY slow to “act/perform” on him/her until you are SURE... Your tree will thank you.

And if you THINK it’s “on it’s way out”... just be patient... I’ve (others also) HAVE been surprised.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
oversized temporary pot
Tis a good idea.. remembering two things...

Don’t go too big.. you want the water to stay where it belongs. I’d say like a black 3-gallon Nursery equivalent.

Also collections need protection from vast swings in temperature around their root-masses, and ALSO benefit from warmer soil/substrate situations after collection... so like a black 3-gallon nursery container or equivalent...🤣

Dang.... really “pushing” those today..

People who didn’t know would assume that I SOLD black, 3-gallon nursery containers.

🤓

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We're past the risk of frost, and the buds are just starting to open, so I collected the loblolly pine. I got a decent root ball, leaving much of the field soil. Because the tree is so large and heavy, I covered the root ball in perlite and peat, rather than a heavier substrate. The "pot" is a fifty gallon grow bag. I removed the three most vigorous branches from the apex, and I removed the tips of some of the middling branches, so that I could encourage the tree to put some energy into its lower branches. I left the majority of the roots and foliage completely undisturbed.

1617650845250.png

1617650896091.png

1617650947353.png

1617650988389.png

1617651049570.png

1617651101022.png

1617651132802.png

1617651212009.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I collected this tree, I cut off the ends of several upper branches to encourage growth lower on the tree. The tree is now producing a second flush of growth near all of those cuts. That leads me to believe loblolly pines can probably be safely decandled during refinement. Further testing is of course needed to confirm this, but it makes sense, given that loblolly pines fill a substantially similar ecological niche to Japanese Black Pines in low-lying coastal regions of the American South and Mid-Atlantic.

10F71029-26F2-4E8A-9720-8215E00FB946.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree was really healthy right up through the early fall, when hundreds of pine saw flies attacked it, stripping the upper branches of their needles in about half a day before I could spray the tree with permethrin. Fortunately, I had planned to chop off the top anyway, so it wasn’t a huge loss, provided the tree can bounce back from such a heavy chop.

809DBDC8-05E5-4BBE-A445-A89CFFCF2EFA.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also dug my hand around at the edge of the pot in three spots, and there’s tons of fine feeder roots. I couldn’t get a good picture, though. I didn’t want to really disturb the roots. I just wanted to check the progress from last year.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For comparison, here’s the tree’s sibling, also collected last spring, showing what the foliage would be like right now but for the sawflies. For some reason, the larvae did not attack any nearby trees so far as I was able to discern. This other tree was just a few feet away. Much bushier.

59C2EED5-A35E-4A92-8C6C-69A35A058B2C.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Slowly recovering from the pine sawflies that showed up out of nowhere.

607C10C4-6930-43A5-8922-E1B9083F0EAC.jpeg

Top Bottom