Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler's American Beech #3

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My last potential entry for this contest. Another American Beech. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm trying to build my bench back up from just two trees, but more than twelve is probably a little too ambitious. I might collect more trees this spring, but I'm only gonna commit to these twelve. Unfortunately, the picture I took in the woods yesterday came out just a tad bit blurry.

1609437760775.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not in the mood to dig up another tree connected to a huge rhizome-like root, so I'm gonna make a substitution. I have great beech access, so I'll find another one that looks more like a tree grown independently from seed, rather than a sucker from a nearby forest giant.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kinda lanky for a bonsai, but I still really like the trunk and branches. I’m hoping I can manage the artistic feat of developing a real literati/bunjin (as opposed to merely a skinny tree with scraggly foliage).

5341CF20-9F77-412D-B5CD-B0D332FF2AFA.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think there is a bunjin in there someplace. I also think that it will take some effort to keep it ~minimal~. You need to select the tree line that is the longest lineal path that is closest to the trunk, if that makes any sense, but at the same time not allowing any long straight sticks. The more doubling back upon itself while staying close to itself, the better. Naturally, this is hard to select from the photo, but something like this short run...
Gab horn 1.JPG
There are longer runs but I can't see them to follow them. When creating bunjin we need to make it less, in spades, and avoid trying to use all we have. You can have a lot of fun with wire here!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually had a similar idea. That branch you picked was the first thing I noticed about the tree back in the woods where I found it. It’s validating to see you agree. That said, I don't want to run with my first thought. I want to make sure I consider my options, so I’ll definitely consider the potential of each branch. I’m also trying not to rule out the potential for a very different planting angle.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I actually had a similar idea. That branch you picked was the first thing I noticed about the tree back in the woods where I found it. It’s validating to see you agree. That said, I don't want to run with my first thought. I want to make sure I consider my options, so I’ll definitely consider the potential of each branch. I’m also trying not to rule out the potential for a very different planting angle.
And remember our friend Mr. wire!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wasn’t liking the root growth I was getting in the shallow pot I stuck the tree in, so I slipped it into a grow bag with potting soil to encourage more robust growth this summer. The tree is just now starting to leaf out.

Top Bottom