Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler's American Beech

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I rarely find Fagus grandifolia of a collectable size with interesting trunk movement. I happened to spot an interesting tree, though. I figured I'd go ahead and enter it in the contest before the deadline closes. I figure I'll try to train it into a twin-trunk literati sort of thing, or maybe develop those little shoots into more trunks for a clump. Worst case scenario, I have an ugly tree and return it to the wild in five years.

1609180680425.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So. I expected to find the tree connected to other beeches in the area, but I didn't expect to find just one ENORMOUS root at the base of the tree. I have no idea whether it might survive. I did not expect I would need a chain saw to collect the tree. Fortunately, I have a saw with a damaged blade for cutting roots still buried in soil, so I didn't have to ruin a good chain. It also helped that the ground is a thick soupy mud with all the snow that's been thawing over the past week. Soft soil makes for easy hand-digging to scoop out mud from under the section of root I was cutting.

1614123663919.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the tree still in the ground. It was connected to the large root behind the trunk I collected. At first, I actually tried to collect the whole thing, but that proved functionally impossible. Instead, I isolated a section of root just below the trunk I liked.

1614124055374.png

Here's a close-up.

1614124129580.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I made a simple training pot from an old plastic water tank. For soil, I used calcined clay pebbles and long-fiber sphagnum moss. I layered some old leaves over the soil surface to prevent moisture from evaporating too quickly from the otherwise well-aerated soil. Ignore the red oak tree stump in the galvanized tub. Also, at this point, I'm thinking of the tree more as an experiment than a serious contest entry, but hey, you never know how things might turn out.

1614124320623.png

1614124366724.png

1614124390703.png

1614124422032.png

1614124477394.png

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh stink, I don’t know about this one man. I’m from SE Pennsylvania and I’ve passed over a lot (and I mean a crap ton) of decent beech due to the whole root issue. I’m interested to see if this thing survives.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For whatever reason, this tree is about two weeks ahead of all the other beeches collected this year from the same forest. I wonder if it has to do with the tree's lack of feeder roots. I guess leaves could give the tree the energy to send out more roots more quickly. Then again, it could be because this is a sucker from a much older tree, or maybe just genetics.

1618338215753.png

Top Bottom