Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler's Freeman's Maple

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting. I think I would have removed some of the lower branches at this point, but I guess it depends on what the final plan is. I do like the chop you just made.

I probably will remove some lower branches, but for now, it's my understanding that they'll help promote good taper, so they stay. I can't un-chop them, but I can always chop them later. It'll take longer for wounds to heal, sure, but generally, these maples heal fast and smooth. A finger-thick branch pruning scar will heal over with just a year of unrestricted growth above it. At least that's been the case in my limited experience.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree recovered well over the course of the last year, and the buds are swelling about two weeks earlier than last year, so it was time for some root work. Here’s the tree repotted.

7CA6885C-958D-4D0F-B81A-E62D35A0E7B0.jpeg

That long leader was just a bud last spring—all that growth in spite of the fact I had crammed the tree into a little bonsai pot much too soon after collection in 2021. I went ahead and pruned back the lower branches, but that leader needs much more time to thicken. This may not be the right tree for a five-year challenge, but we’ll see how it does. I have a dozen other five-year threads going, regardless.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year, the leaves looked more like a silver maple. This year, they’re looking more like a red maple.

CEF8DD9D-AB57-414B-84B9-3008D0DB9284.jpeg

75705F0E-7389-4022-B428-7F49FB78F96B.jpeg

Top Bottom