Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler's Hawthorn

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dug up this Crataegus phaenopyrum "Washington hawthorn" three years ago, chopped the trunk to keep it in proportion with the roots, and ignored it since that day. The species is native to the Delmarva Peninsula, so it should fall within the rules requirements.

IMG_3790.JPG

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know it's a little early, but I have a number of trees to do before buds start breaking, so I started with a less-delicate project. I slip-potted the hawthorn into an oversized bonsai pot. I pruned and sealed a number of vigorous suckers to divert growth back to the main trunk. Also, the main trunk had an ugly Y-shaped fork high on the trunk, so I removed the fatter side to introduce taper to the trunk. Notice also a small twig pointing straight upward, which I hope takes over as a leader. The roots fan out nicely, but I left them buried for now, since temps still dip below freezing every night, and I didn't want to disturb them at the wrong time of year.

IMG_20210208_085434.jpg

IMG_20210208_085422.jpg

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depending on the tree's vigor, I'll either let it grow unrestrained or prune only unwanted branches. The current selection of branches needs to thicken a lot. Because I kept root disturbance de minimus, I plan to fertilize right after bud burst to encourage those branches to thicken and those scars to heal over.

Last edited:

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately, there was a bit of die-back in some of the upper branches, but not to the extent that the tree is ruined. I think I'll have a nice broom in a few years, albeit with a partially-healed new chop. For now, I'll just remove the dead part of the trunk and let the branches grow unrestrained to thicken up a bit.

1618019232934.png

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved the tree to a smaller pot that I had on hand to further reduce the rootball. I need to thicken my branches some, but not a lot, and the trunk is about where I want it, so I figured I might as well move the tree into a more manageably-sized pot.

4C9A3121-5CAB-4047-9AD0-B4B6E0F0D0C2.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Even though I treat this tree with Daconil, I still get these fungal infections. This time, there’s a gall a few inches up my new leader.

70D0CABF-1F21-48CE-8326-AA0A1631B2C3.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In August, in spite of fungicide treatments, the rust took over the tree and killed it almost overnight. I promptly destroyed the tree to prevent the infestation from spreading. To be safe, I also got rid of my eastern red cedar pre-bonsai, which would not have amounted to anything anyway.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This contest is still on with 1 year, 9 months to go. Are you still in?
If so, please post an update on your tree.
Thanks!

Top Bottom