Five year native tree challenge: Harewood Hobbyist's Malus fusca

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pacific crab apple. They always look kind of unhealthy to me when I see them up close growing in the wild. There's a forested lot across from my office where the crab apple differentiates when flowering and then fades back into the sticks afterwards, looks cool.

It is very small so far.

Attachments

• DSC_0657.JPG
    DSC_0657.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 10

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pacific crab apple. They always look kind of unhealthy to me when I see them up close growing in the wild. There's a forested lot across from my office where the crab apple differentiates when flowering and then fades back into the sticks afterwards, looks cool.

It is very small so far
Neat species!

Watch for rust! With EAGLE eyes!

Make sure lots of air is moving around the pot/container.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Neat species!

Watch for rust! With EAGLE eyes!

Make sure lots of air is moving around the pot/container.
Noted.

Relatedly, saskatoon berries have always seemed covered in rust and some wasp (?) larva everywhere else I've lived (prairies, rockies, east coast) but here (west coast) they seem thrilled and smooth leafèd.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Actually, I am close to the ocean and it is straight up windy here. Rusts are hard on aliums on the west coast in general but at least my garlic is happy. I take this to be auspicious

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Actually, I am close to the ocean and it is straight up windy here. Rusts are hard on aliums on the west coast in general but at least my garlic is happy. I take this to be auspicious
Hehe! The rust does NOT care where you are...

It’s aggressive... it’s unforgiving, and it’s damn near omnipresent.

Just keep a close eye on ‘em and you’ be fine.

Top Bottom