Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge, Ribes Sanguineum, red flowering currant

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found this growing under a Douglas fir on the slope going down to the river on my acreage and dug it up the beginning of March. Better late than never!
So far it is adapting well to collection, has leafed out and flowered over the past six weeks or so. Bare rooted and placed in pumice after collection.IMG_0722.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree had responded early to collection with leaf and flower production. I decided to maximize the opportunity to reduce the overall structure and hopefully induce lots of back budding during the currant growth cycle. So two pictures for the beginning of the growing season. Before and after reduction. Some branching will be reduced further next year after back budding makes those steps safer!
What I learned the first time with this tree. Very hard wood, does not heal well from rabbit damage apparently. Has a tendency to throw new shoots in damaged areas which quickly become dominant and stronger than the original shoot. Next lesson will be how well the tree responds to this aggressive approach after collection. Have applied organic fertilizer in tea bags to the surface of the Anderson flat. Will remain for the growing season. IMG_1649.JPGIMG_1650.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Time for an update with a progression picture 15 months later and several pruning sessions to promote side shoots and new buds closer in. We have had some pretty hot weather in streaks causing a bit of leaf damage that is still evident. The progress is still fairly substantial for such a short period of time. Letting it grow out till fall at this point. Damage on the right trunk is healing well, not sure what critter chewed on it last winter. Will call it natural character.
IMG_1239.JPG

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really love the shape of the leaves, and the flowers are great as well. Have you cultivated this species before, or is this your first one?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really love the shape of the leaves, and the flowers are great as well. Have you cultivated this species before, or is this your first one?
First one, experimental new native species for me! the following seems true so far.
1. they respond well to collection. Roots thrive in pure pumice.
2. They are fast growers and can be pruned more than once throughout the growing season. Extension growth is rapid requires cut back to encourage side shoots. Plan to leave considerable space between branches and a bit longer internodes due to the growth factor. Just my thoughts, no reference material to rely on.
3. Pruning cuts appear to begin healing quickly.
4. Bark appears to age quickly showing an interesting mottled look.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
what container are you growing that in?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what container are you growing that in?
I put it in an Anderson flat directly after collection! It is referred to as the deep propagation style, sold under the model " Flat 5 "
They are my favourite configuration basically 15 by 15 by 5 1/2 inches deep. Good basic size for grow out most medium to large trees.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Oh I see it now, I didn't recognize the flat at first. I grow in the rectangular ones.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh I see it now, I didn't recognize the flat at first. I grow in the rectangular ones.
I still have a few of those. Roughly 17 by 14 by 31/2 if I recall correctly. They work well for maples that do well in shallower but wider containers. The advantage for me with the deeper ones are two fold! More suited to collected trees with deeper root systems to begin with and also easier to add extra soil to protect nebari during development or winterization. I prefer to keep roots covered during development or when they are weak.
This particular tree will be potted up in a Bonsai Pot this March.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have some kind of knockoff trays that are 15 x 12 x 3, they work well for my dawn redwoods

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Time for an update with a progression picture 15 months later and several pruning sessions to promote side shoots and new buds closer in. We have had some pretty hot weather in streaks causing a bit of leaf damage that is still evident. The progress is still fairly substantial for such a short period of time. Letting it grow out till fall at this point. Damage on the right trunk is healing well, not sure what critter chewed on it last winter. Will call it natural character.
View attachment 504450
Update January 2024, had some time to prune and shape, setting further direction for future. Will focus on back budding , compaction and side shoots going forward to fill in profile. Have learned this species does not heal pruning cuts very easily. Lots of dieback if not protected and sealed each time it is priced. Best to leave stubs and return. Hence I am trying a variety of approaches including liquid sealant and foil covering for good measure. Heavier aluminum wire for gentle bends. 3.5 mmIMG_2163.JPGIMG_2164.JPG

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
How are you wintering to already have leafing out in January?
Love the progression so far. Does it seem prone to breakage when wiring? I have a collected currant with similar characteristics that is about to get its first haircut/ wire

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How are you wintering to already have leafing out in January?
Love the progression so far. Does it seem prone to breakage when wiring? I have a collected currant with similar characteristics that is about to get its first haircut/ wire
It is sitting on the ground outside, milder winter this year El Nino. Very prone to breakage when wiring, thus the gentle curves and heavier aluminum wire for broader surface area. Plus the bark seems susceptible to marking so requires more care in monitoring. This species is very hardy and leafs out early in the spring normally. Will often have some frost damage and recover quickly. These observations based on my experience with them as a landscape plant on my previous acreage over a thirteen year period. The tree above was dug off the slope just prior to selling the acreage and moving. Adjusted easily to transplant in the Anderson flat. will check the root ball and likely move to a bonsai pot this fall.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update January 2024, had some time to prune and shape, setting further direction for future. Will focus on back budding , compaction and side shoots going forward to fill in profile. Have learned this species does not heal pruning cuts very easily. Lots of dieback if not protected and sealed each time it is priced. Best to leave stubs and return. Hence I am trying a variety of approaches including liquid sealant and foil covering for good measure. Heavier aluminum wire for gentle bends. 3.5 mmView attachment 526344View attachment 526345
Looks good. Very interesting Species for bonsai.. I've seen a couple of cool ones on Google search. I'm keeping my eye one some for sale. So what are the rules for the 5 year native tree challenge? I have a pretty nice hop-hornbeam that I collected winter of 2022 that definitely has potential and pics to back up the collection with time stamps.

Top Bottom