Five year progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I received this tree as a gift five years ago. Not exactly sure what specious of tree this is. I just recently repotted. I hope to develop more of the lower branches and apex of the tree. I like the trunk and think it has good potential. I hope to keep developing better nebari as well. For a bonsai noob learning proper watering and patience has been the most difficult thing over my few years with this tree. Any tips or direction on specious or help with the development of the apex is much appreciated.

Attachments

• E753CA8D-0F03-477C-9EE1-FB27F7B08D84.jpeg
    E753CA8D-0F03-477C-9EE1-FB27F7B08D84.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 60047266-C96C-4985-A23F-E1D3464DF764.jpeg
    60047266-C96C-4985-A23F-E1D3464DF764.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 289

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
We have an entire sub-forum dedicated to Junipers, a read through there will give you many ideas.

A little wire, a little pruning and your juniper could be quite nice. Don't do anything drastic, it already has all the branches you need to take it up another notch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will certainly read through those threads on the junipers. I have just been uncertain what type of tree I was actually working with but now hopefully have it narrowed down.

Thanks for the positive outlook on the tree. I will definitely take it slow on the Limbs. At the moment I’m trying to bring them together to hopefully help create a “denser” look. Again thanks you for your thoughts on my tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Repotted this past weekend. Hopefully get some better growth in the bigger pot. Really trying to make this more dense and less see through when looking at the viewing angle. Will allow to stay in this pot for a few years.

Attachments

• E67BE7DD-94E2-4AFE-95A8-075E73E5FC85.jpeg
    E67BE7DD-94E2-4AFE-95A8-075E73E5FC85.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 151

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That new pot is too deep. If the tree stays in it more than a year or two, the new roots will go down and not allow you to move the tree to an exhibition pot. The old pot was suggesting a meadow, or field. Wide and shallow. The current pot does not function as setting, there's no sense of place in the new pot. You need a pot that is wider , but the same depth as the original pot. This new pot is sending your tree backwards as bonsai, back into the appearance of a shrub rather than "tree".

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was debating on it being too big as well. I just didn’t like the growth I got from the two years in the small pot. I didn’t know if the smaller pot was harming the tree as well. For the larger pot I put large lava rock at the bottom to fill it up about halfway so it’s not all soil. I will look into the wider small pot that you suggested and see what I can find. Might allow the tree to recover this year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is a at distance photo.

Attachments

• FB932464-5C50-43E2-8411-06EAD7393649.jpeg
    FB932464-5C50-43E2-8411-06EAD7393649.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 103

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You need to get wire on those branches. Effective wire. Pull the branches down. Once the branches are in their proper place/orientation, you can begin cleaning the foliage. Remove growth that is hanging downward. Remove growth within ~ 1/4" of the crotch (and any crotch growth you're ABSOLUTELY sure you're not going to want to cut back to), and remove any weak/yellow growth. Once the tree's properly cleaned, you can begin to wire the smaller branches. Judicious pruning will leave an alternating branch pattern, which will be easier to wire and introduce movement.

I know you said you want to get the tree more dense and I'm telling you to remove foliage, but what you're left with will be higher quality and more manageable ...and will lead to more density.

(I suspect its currently over-potted.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You need to get wire on those branches. Effective wire. Pull the branches down. Once the branches are in their proper place/orientation, you can begin cleaning the foliage. Remove growth that is hanging downward. Remove growth within ~ 1/4" of the crotch (and any crotch growth you're ABSOLUTELY sure you're not going to want to cut back to), and remove any weak/yellow growth. Once the tree's properly cleaned, you can begin to wire the smaller branches. Judicious pruning will leave an alternating branch pattern, which will be easier to wire and introduce movement.

I know you said you want to get the tree more dense and I'm telling you to remove foliage, but what you're left with will be higher quality and more manageable ...and will lead to more density.

(I suspect its currently over-potted.)
Thanks for the response, I mentioned above that I felt the smaller pot was causing harm to growth that would help it have denser foliage. So I was thinking bigger pot better foliage. This pot would only be for a few years and then back to more sizable pot for the tree.

I have been wiring branches over the years. I have been trying to bring the branches closer to help create a “denser look” not sure if this will do more harm then trying to wire branches farther apart and allow for good growth. Have removed a lot of downward growth and weaker foliage. The weaker growth was one of the reasons I was thinking bigger pot as well. I was trying to get ahead of any issues the smaller pot might have been causing.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Joelshack2362

Bonsai is a 3 dimensional, sculptural art with horticulture as the main tool. Linear words often fail to effectively transmit the keys. There is a valuable resource, a place to get hands on evaluation of your tree in person.

I believe they meet in Charlotte, which is not far from you. Most bonsai clubs will allow potential new members to attend several meetings before requiring one to join. Check them out, they should have meetings where you can bring your trees and have a more experienced member give you in person pointers

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wiring and pulling down branches to more horizontal positions as @bwaynef described, will allow sun into the interior of the foliage, keeping it healthy and allowing it to become more dense. The "opening up", does lead to a more dense structure a few years down the road. It allows light in without removing a lot of foliage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wiring and pulling down branches to more horizontal positions as @bwaynef described, will allow sun into the interior of the foliage, keeping it healthy and allowing it to become more dense. The "opening up", does lead to a more dense structure a few years down the road. It allows light in without removing a lot of foliage.
Thanks for the info on the bonsai clubs I will certainly look into this. Thanks for taking time to give your input I will definitely take this feedback. Wiring after a repot be okay for the tree? Maybe something to focus on next winter?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If the tree was tied down correctly in it's pot, so the trunk does not "wiggle" when one tries to wiggle it, then wiring is no problem. But if the trunk is loose, wiggles, or tilts easily when touched, then no, do not wire. Tree must be secure and stable in it's pot before wiring.

Wiring is done anytime from middle summer thru winter. But only if tree is correctly wired into it's pot so that it is stable and fine roots will not be broken by the jostling that naturally occurs during wiring.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the response, I mentioned above that I felt the smaller pot was causing harm to growth that would help it have denser foliage. So I was thinking bigger pot better foliage. This pot would only be for a few years and then back to more sizable pot for the tree.
I'd suggest potting into a pot somewhere between what it was in and this one, ...which is why I mentioned it.
I have been wiring branches over the years. I have been trying to bring the branches closer to help create a “denser look” not sure if this will do more harm then trying to wire branches farther apart and allow for good growth. Have removed a lot of downward growth and weaker foliage. The weaker growth was one of the reasons I was thinking bigger pot as well. I was trying to get ahead of any issues the smaller pot might have been causing.
The weaker growth is because this juniper isn't being managed correctly. The object isn't to get wire on branches, the object is to have wire on branches capable of putting the branches into the proper location ...and then putting the branches into proper location. Several/most of your branches will angle downward. Its going to look a lot worse before it looks better, but it should turn around pretty quickly. Bending the branches down will alter the hormonal balance and causehelp it to back bud further in ...and strengthen interior foliage ...and increase the density of your foliage.

Top Bottom