[FL] Hoping for tips/advice as I go into my first fall/winter with a bunch of bougie yamadori's!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Over the past week we've had some really cold (relatively!) days/nights, some with higher wind levels and a good handful of my trees (almost all bougainvilleas) aren't liking it, some have even had drooping past-horizontal (*not* due to being thirsty!)

I have a lot of yamadoris and a lot of rooted-hardwoods, none are >1yr old and most are 8mo or less, they've had very vigorous growth but that slowed when the days shortened and has since mostly halted. I know bougainvilleas like a warmer climate than my 9a/9b and am aware they can't take frost (am boxing-up the two specimen I'd had in stationary boxes, so they can be moved if/when necessary) but am hoping for advice on what can help, for instance I'm pretty sure it's a good idea for me to block the east-side of my backyard with a trellis (just put 4x4's in a row, then nail 3' tall trellising in starting at 3' up, so it buffers at the height of the trees' canopies), have thought of getting a dark mulch (both for the insulation mulch provides, and the light that darker colors will bring)

I'm also thinking that it's probably better to keep the substrate on the drier side (relative to spring/summer) through the cooler months but unsure, any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! After a couple times of walking out to my nursery in the AM only to find inexplicably-drooping shoots I'm kind of worried that, as it gets colder, some of my trees may not survive...hopefully it's just the quickness with which this cold came, it was mid-80's a week+ ago and just dropped fast, these plants haven't experienced that (well, their new canopies haven't, they were all collected this year and almost-exclusively by significant trunk-chopping)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Don't stress yourself out too much. They will likely drop their leaves but as long as you keep them above 40F you are gold. I simply take mine in a unheated garage on the nights that we dip into the 30's and below here in Vegas. Yes, drier side but don't allow them to dry completely.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
How many frosts do you actually get?
Here I only ever bring my ficus in if there is to be a frost or 0 deg C temps overnight and put them back out in the morning, the bougies stay out but to be fair that might be once or twice a year or maybe not even at all.
Yard bougies tend to stay green and even flower through winter here but in pots they are more likely to go deciduous.

Top Bottom