[FL] I'm in a 9a, flat/no-mountain area, are there *any* practical conifers I can go hunting for (besides BC's) *in nature*?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Any collection-site hunting tips? My unanimous experience has been that anything with a trunk >0.75", won't have a branch in the bottom 2-3', as a pretty universal rule unfortunately :/ Have checked elevation maps and there's some minor elevation in central FL (I'm right on the water in Tampa-area), still have trouble accepting this but think your original sentiment was right and that my idea of finding "a FL conifer yamadori" is flawed in principle :/ Damnit I want a non-BC conifer that's not some 1-2" store-bought landscape tree!!!!!! Going to step-up commercial-building searches and offers to people there for landscape specimen that've matured - right now is a fine time for collecting anything in FL right? Most species at or past bud-break :)

The main issue goes to your 'location' issue. There is very little terrain that will make an interesting tree. Pines here grow in sand soil and flat terrain making straight trees. So 99% will be this scenario. Sinkhole edge or riverbank or quarry etc. where there is some limestone that the tree is growing from you may get some movement and stunted growth. Or collect one about the size of your wrist and actually prep and wire it properly and twist it down to a good size. You can always graft foliage where it needs to go.

Top Bottom