[FL, long-term problem] Bougies are my most-populous specie in the nursery, yet am plagued by chlorosis (for years, out of things to try :/ )

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Because of how easily I can come-by ~1' wide Bougie stock, and how I can propagate 4"+ thick hardwood sections, when I began bonsai in-earnest half a decade ago I had really "stocked up" on Bougainvilleas.

Sadly, I have had chlorosis issues that I cannot figure-out, they blow my mind because they don't affect all my bougies and I've tried everything I could think of:

- pond-baskets to eliminate "wet feet" (even doing "intentional dry-outs" on such specimen)

- nutes: They've seen everything from "slow&steady", to force-feeding, of nitrogen...no difference. I've done supplemental Iron/Fe, and Magnesium/Mg+, both in-combination and, usually, alternating (ie a couple weeks of 2x/week magnesium, then couple weeks of iron, repeatedly)

- pH: I know this can be problematic, and Bougies like things especially acidic....so I've gone and made some very acidic mixtures, to no avail (and, of course, "regular acidic" and "regular just-below-neutral" mixtures)

- Pruning: I've let trees grow 6mo+ untouched, others I've got in a "hedge-prune" setup wherein anytime they grow-out-from their silhouette, such shoots are trimmed

I've been able to find zero rhyme or reason for the chlorosis, and - when taking a specific affected bougie - cannot reverse/slow it. I've got some bougies going on their 3rd year of highly chloritic:
20210303_140851.jpg20210303_141020.jpg
(yup, the wood-mulches are strictly for upping the acidity!)

Have also laid iron granules for "longer term uptake", still to no avail....can't figure out WTH I'm missing!! As mentioned I have more bougies than anything else, and have tried so many "a/b" tests trying to figure this out but am no further-along in resolving it, so here I am hoping for some help :D

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to pinch Epsom Salts onto the top of my pot. To allow slow release almost. I know Adam Lavigne does that...so I've switched to the same application. I've not seen this.to this degree...but hope you get it figured out.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In low pH soils, it's very well possible that metals are being washed out rapidly. This means that it can take multiple or even almost continuous application to get the soil levels up to par.
I don't know about US products, but over here we have an all round micro-nutrient/trace-element mixture that costs 8 bucks a bottle - that lasts me 3-4 years. It might be worth investigating if there's a similar product available near you.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m having the same issues with mine. I checked the water PH and it’s 8.1. I’ll try miracid see what happens.

Attachments

• 29EDF838-62C5-473F-BE2C-29F9B4D47387.jpeg
    29EDF838-62C5-473F-BE2C-29F9B4D47387.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 38D6EB4C-83AD-478C-AD43-2EA047E28850.jpeg
    38D6EB4C-83AD-478C-AD43-2EA047E28850.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 13

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been able to find zero rhyme or reason for the chlorosis, and - when taking a specific affected bougie - cannot reverse/slow it.
I didn’t see a mention of foliage feeding. It’s not a final solution but it may help in the interim. Have you also tried acidifying your water? Obviously Florida can have high pH and high alkalinity water.
Are you on a well or municipal water district? If the latter, can you post the link to the water quality report? I tried looking up Tampa Bay’s but it didn’t list any secondary constituents like hardness, alkalinity, Calcium, or pH.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have the Espoma Organic acidifier and Hanasaku fertilizer. I don't know if it'd work for potted plants but I use it for my blueberry bushes.
How long is the blooming period? Mine has started dropping its flowers.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
How much sun are these getting daily? I had all of my bougies out in full sun and had leaves exactly like what you're seeing (yellow, unhealthy). Restricting water made things much worse.
Per a suggestion in this group I moved them to a partial sun area and the leaves immediately (2 weeks) turned deep green. The sun really helps with flowering, but for vegetative growth on bougainvillea I find that partial sun or mostly shade works best.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
my bougie looks exactly like this! light green leaves and dark green veins. I have tried fertilizing it twice now and applied an epsom salt foliar spray. If it doesnt improve I will need to try something else. If you find something that works let us know!

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
See post #3
This was going to my next effort :) Looks like it did wonders for you! Quick question as I am searching up mir acid its giving me results of something called mirAcid itself by miracle grow and its giving my miracle grow fertilizer for acid loving plants. Is this the same thing because stores near me dont seem to stock the "MirAcid"

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This was going to my next effort :) Looks like it did wonders for you! Quick question as I am searching up mir acid its giving me results of something called mirAcid itself by miracle grow and its giving my miracle grow fertilizer for acid loving plants. Is this the same thing because stores near me dont seem to stock the "MirAcid"
Not sure, my box says Mir-Acid. But if it says Miracle Gro for acid loving plants, probably the same thing.

Top Bottom