[FL, long-term problem] Bougies are my most-populous specie in the nursery, yet am plagued by chlorosis (for years, out of things to try :/ )

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think someone said they stopped marketing Miracid in favor of labeling the same formula as Miracle Grow for aid loving blah blah.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think someone said they stopped marketing Miracid in favor of labeling the same formula as Miracle Grow for aid loving blah blah.
They are both still listed on Amazon but I think you are right and that the name Miracid may become a thing of the past. I would be curious to see if the ingredients are the same

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure, my box says Mir-Acid. But if it says Miracle Gro for acid loving plants, probably the same thing.
Did a little bit of research and the "miracid" is 30-10-10 and the acid fertilizer is 28-10-10 so close enough I guess, cant seem to find the "miracid" anywhere here in canada

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
I couldn't see in the posts above, but have you actually measured the pHbof your potting media. If so what was the result?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Small update on mine, i fertilized twice in a row with my fertilizer I use for my tropicals and noticed a color change for sure. Eventually got the Mir Acid. Although now in Canada you cant find Mir Acid, instead its miracle grow for acid loving plants. I have given it a dose of that. I also have repotted it probably around 3 weeks ago.

Before.
20210314_104846.jpg

Today!
20210429_074144.jpg

Some of the chlorotic leaves did fall off due to low light when I had a pest scare and needed to put it in a room with less then sufficent lght.

Still needs more time to get it where I want it, but the color has improved alot.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Small update on mine, i fertilized twice in a row with my fertilizer I use for my tropicals and noticed a color change for sure. Eventually got the Mir Acid. Although now in Canada you cant find Mir Acid, instead its miracle grow for acid loving plants. I have given it a dose of that. I also have repotted it probably around 3 weeks ago.

Before.
View attachment 371313

Today!
View attachment 371314

Some of the chlorotic leaves did fall off due to low light when I had a pest scare and needed to put it in a room with less then sufficent lght.

Still needs more time to get it where I want it, but the color has improved alot.
It's looking a lot better. I always repot my bougies in the heat of the summer.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's looking a lot better. I always repot my bougies in the heat of the summer.
Yea I made a mistake this year, re-potted a few of my trees to early. This is the first year of going from winter to summer while doing bonsai so I am learning as I go lol. Fortunately I think I have been able to give all the trees re-potted suitable enough environments for them to be ok until they can get outside in the sunshine. Haven't lost any that were re-potted at that time.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I didn’t see a mention of foliage feeding. It’s not a final solution but it may help in the interim. Have you also tried acidifying your water? Obviously Florida can have high pH and high alkalinity water.
Are you on a well or municipal water district? If the latter, can you post the link to the water quality report? I tried looking up Tampa Bay’s but it didn’t list any secondary constituents like hardness, alkalinity, Calcium, or pH.
they call it 7.9pH so am guessing it's really 8+ :p Hard as hell, Ca through the roof. If using tap water I use pH-Down (gen.hydropopnics formula, primarily phos acid), but I have a few hundred gallon raintwarter setup so use that extensively..

I'm embarrassed to say this but I'm beginning to suspect it was a general NITRO deficiency, I had been trying to limit growth (don't have the time right now to handle/control the growth) and had greatly limited feedings, so think I just let them get too low on nitro to the point they were chloritic, I'd done EVERYTHING to fix iron and magnesium (not simultaneously, for obvious reasons) to no avail, then when it crossed my mind my nitro may've been too low I tried some 'heavy dosings' and.....wow did everything turn green and grow like it was on steroids!!!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
so think I just let them get too low on nitro to the point they were chloritic
It makes sense that they may have a higher nitrogen requirement, being climbing vines. Acidifying my water has made a difference on mine, but it’s still not as dark green as the landscape bougies. I’ve still only been using granular Gro-Prower. But I will supplement with some miracid equivalent.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I’ve successfully used this for yellow or pale Bougainvillea’s. I’m in FL. I have two that I need to mix up a batch and apply to tomorrow, thanks for the reminder.

33A07FBC-3AE9-46A3-8441-945D7C0C2192.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You could Try Azomite...(In combination with a Acid-geared fertilizer.. I just used the cheap Scotts granular)

This stabilized my Bougie... I no longer have these issues.

🤓

(Ever since discovering this, Azomite is an essential component in how I mix substrates)

((I see now that your problem has cleared up?))

whoopsies!

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have you tried Mir-Acid? Worked fine for mine when I had the same problem.View attachment 359873View attachment 359874
I just picked up Miracle-Gro Orchid Food "For Orchids & All Acid-Loving Plants" at my grocery store. The analysis says 30-10-10. Trying to figure out what plants need it other than the Bougies.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just picked up Miracle-Gro Orchid Food "For Orchids & All Acid-Loving Plants" at my grocery store. The analysis says 30-10-10. Trying to figure out what plants need it other than the Bougies.
I use it on my Camellias, azaleas and even my hibiscus.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use it on my Camellias, azaleas and even my hibiscus.
Ditto!

Add Deutzia, Ilex, Crabapples (have these) Fuschia, Hydrangea, Rosas, Vaccinium, magnolia (don’t have these)

Lots of trees are acid lovers. I use acid-geared (Not Mir-acid) fert ALSO on Junipers, Pines, Spruces, hemlocks, and actually MOST Acers... They like it. ;)

Trees/plants, from my experience, only COULD have one of two preferences (Lime or Acid) in this arena, leaving less “picky” species labeled “Balanced”.. not to mention the TRULY “balanced.”

🤓

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ditto!

Add Deutzia, Ilex, Crabapples (have these) Fuschia, Hydrangea, Rosas, Vaccinium, magnolia (don’t have these)

Lots of trees are acid lovers. I use acid-geared (Not Mir-acid) fert ALSO on Junipers, Pines, Spruces, hemlocks, and actually MOST Acers... They like it. ;)

Trees/plants, from my experience, only COULD have one of two preferences (Lime or Acid) in this arena, leaving less “picky” species labeled “Balanced”.. not to mention the TRULY “balanced.”

🤓
My Gardenias also love it.

Top Bottom