Flame Tree - First True Leaves. Suggestions?

Vik250

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all,

Attached is a picture of of seeds that grew first True Leaves (Flame Tree). Now I had these seeds in the pot filled with soil from Peat Pellets (I was experimenting and posted this fact in different thread). As you can see in the picture, this soil from peat pellets is only about 1 inch max deep. What should I do at this point? I also got liquid fertilizer, should I start applying that? Should I more seed starter soil on top of this? (Ai just received seed starter soil yesterday). I had these under LED grow lights with no heat mat and they have been sprouting. Please provide your recommendations/suggestions. This is my first one. I have other seeds which are still germinating.

Thank You as Always 🙏🙏

Attachments

• 20220415_074130.jpg
    20220415_074130.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 21

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got 5 or 6 to germinate last July and repotted them in February. I haven't used any fertilizer yet but they get the Florida sun and that makes a huge difference. I was fairly rough when I repotted them but they have all survived. There is even a little runt that I decided to plant in the ground and it is doing well too. I've had some problems with aphids and scale but since they're just seedlings I wipe them off when I see them.

The repotting from February if you're interested:

Vik250

Yamadori
Reaction score
I got 5 or 6 to germinate last July and repotted them in February. I haven't used any fertilizer yet but they get the Florida sun and that makes a huge difference. I was fairly rough when I repotted them but they have all survived. There is even a little runt that I decided to plant in the ground and it is doing well too. I've had some problems with aphids and scale but since they're just seedlings I wipe them off when I see them.

The repotting from February if you're interested:
I see. Thanks. Difference is location! I am in North East.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First leaf stage is a good time to transplant. AS mentioned roots can be cut or damaged at this stage and most seedlings just grow new roots and keep growing. At first transplant I usually cut roots short to encourage more lateral roots that will form the tree's nebari later so breaking a few roots or deliberately cutting is no problem and probably even good for bonsai.
Timing of first transplant depends more on stage of growth than location. If the seedling is growing in your area and your conditions it can be transplanted.

Don't just dump new soil on top. Some seedlings don't react well to burying the stem.

Liquid fert can be used any time after leaves open but wait a week after transplant to avoid a reaction from strong fert on cut roots.

Vik250

Yamadori
Reaction score
First leaf stage is a good time to transplant. AS mentioned roots can be cut or damaged at this stage and most seedlings just grow new roots and keep growing. At first transplant I usually cut roots short to encourage more lateral roots that will form the tree's nebari later so breaking a few roots or deliberately cutting is no problem and probably even good for bonsai.
Timing of first transplant depends more on stage of growth than location. If the seedling is growing in your area and your conditions it can be transplanted.

Don't just dump new soil on top. Some seedlings don't react well to burying the stem.

Liquid fert can be used any time after leaves open but wait a week after transplant to avoid a reaction from strong fert on cut roots.
Thanks a lot Shibui as always!!!!! You have been a monstrous help last few weeks and I have been doing better with my own research and your and others help!!!!! I'll transplant it as soon as able and will not giver fertilizer for at least a week. Thank You 🙏 😊 🙏 😊 🙏

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It is time to transplant it and transition it to full sun outside.
Below is the link to my journey on this species. Never mind that originally I thought it was a tamarind.

Vik250

Yamadori
Reaction score
It is time to transplant it and transition it to full sun outside.
Below is the link to my journey on this species. Never mind that originally I thought it was a tamarind.
Thank You So So Much 🙏🙏

Top Bottom