Flat Top Bald Cypress

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I say try it. I live in N Texas and it’s pretty hot and dry during summer (high of 104 tomorrow) and BC thrive here. Keep them consistently wet and they will reward you with great growth.
I’ll give it a shot.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You could try Montezuma cypress-Taxodium mucranatum. It's a native of Mexico and Guatemala. It's the national tree of Mexico. John Naka made a bonsai from one in So. Cal. It's now at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum. Species is hardy to zones 8-11 Very similar to Bald Cypress, only from hotter region.
I’ll try that, too. Thanks.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went ahead and did the cut back on my cypress last month.

June 13th
20220613_122702.jpg

Today July 9th
20220709_120138.jpg

The lower branching is getting a bit better. Please excuse the janky wiring. It won't be on long and I did it quickly.
20220709_120156.jpg

Closer view of the top.
20220709_120208.jpg

I'm getting some decent healing of the new angled chop I did last year.
20220709_120227.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That looks great, I would move one branch to the front, as you have it moving to the left crossing over the left side branches. Yellow like is your movement, blue proposed. Hard to show what I mean because it is a 2 dimension pic, but imagine it coming towards the front, moving up, then to the front, then slightly up and to the left, slightly front and to the right. That would help the spread when looking at it from the top, you will have plenty of branches to occupy the canopy once those set up this year.

Flet top.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks great, I would move one branch to the front, as you have it moving to the left crossing over the left side branches. Yellow like is your movement, blue proposed. Hard to show what I mean because it is a 2 dimension pic, but imagine it coming towards the front, moving up, then to the front, then slightly up and to the left, slightly front and to the right. That would help the spread when looking at it from the top, you will have plenty of branches to occupy the canopy once those set up this year.

View attachment 446172

Thanks for the thoughts. I see what you mean with that branch. It might need to be changed but it will end up being cut back hard after it grows out a bit. Here is a pic that I'm using for inspiration. There are lots of crossing branches in the canopy

bd0db22c647b1cb19c4fac635e735e8e--bonsai-plants-bonsai-trees.jpg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Reducing the three leaders was a good call! I think three leaders is fine but they should not all exit the tree at the same height. I also believe that your notion to shorten the lower branches is very good. This helps to make the tree appear taller. Nice development.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really coming along. Thanks for the nice progression. Beginning to really look like an old tree!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Reducing the three leaders was a good call! I think three leaders is fine but they should not all exit the tree at the same height. I also believe that your notion to shorten the lower branches is very good. This helps to make the tree appear taller. Nice development.

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. The design of this tree has been a bit of a struggle for me but I feel like it's starting to get a little better.

Top Bottom