Flat top trees

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have always admired a flat top Bald cypress even before I got into bonsai and even really knew what one was. Recently I noticed a few other Flat top style trees. One was a live oak that was likely manipulated by humans even though there's nothing above it to necessitate that. The other is a long leaf pine that is out in the woods, only manipulated my nature. In the pics the pine kinda blends oin with another pine so it doesn't display well, but in the flat top area there is more ramification than in the tops of other pine trees.flat top oak.jpgFlat top pine tree 2.jpgFlat top Pine tree 1.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
South Africa has some iconic species that grow as flat top trees. I saw that some of the South African bonsai growers were trying to replicate that style with some bonsai.
Well worth trying as a style for some species.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The flat crowned style is pretty rare. Pieter Loubser describes it in his excellent book Understanding Bonsai, mimicking Acacia sieberana (paperbark) and Albizia adiabthifolia (flat crowned false thorn) which have flat crowns as @Shibui mentioned. It’s shown below in his book Fig 212.

40B454FD-565C-4D65-A8F4-5C8AFA5D516F.jpeg

Perhaps more widespread is the Pierneer style, made popular by South African ar tist J. H. Pierneer. Again as shown in is his book.
F4EEB323-61E1-4467-BAD3-0318CE8203A3.jpeg

It’s perhaps the best and most comprehensive technique and styling bonsai I’ve read.

cheers
DSD sends

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have always admired a flat top Bald cypress even before I got into bonsai and even really knew what one was. Recently I noticed a few other Flat top style trees. One was a live oak that was likely manipulated by humans even though there's nothing above it to necessitate that. The other is a long leaf pine that is out in the woods, only manipulated my nature. In the pics the pine kinda blends oin with another pine so it doesn't display well, but in the flat top area there is more ramification than in the tops of other pine trees.View attachment 463346View attachment 463347View attachment 463349
That flat top pine is like every other pine tree in my area - chopped by hurricanes.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Attachments

• Buddleja Saligna (White Olive)-1140x700.jpg
    Buddleja Saligna (White Olive)-1140x700.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom