FLOATING TOP BONSAI STAND #2

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been jonesing to get building another stand since finishing my last. This one here. I wanted to take a bit more time on this one and incorporate 2 different wood types, while still utilizing the floating top look. I used what wood I had on hand which in this case was Walnut and white oak. Here is the finished product.

I took progress photos throughout the build this time to show what my process was and I will edit and share those later this evening. I made it to fit a certain pot but I’d be willing to part with it if anyone one is interested. The size is 15 1/4”x12 1/4” x 5” . But I mostly did this build for the fun and enjoyment of wood working and design. 254102254103254104254105
ea5ed04b-6611-4b98-838f-70aad6195cc4-jpeg.254107

Attachments

• EA5ED04B-6611-4B98-838F-70AAD6195CC4.jpeg
    EA5ED04B-6611-4B98-838F-70AAD6195CC4.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 545

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's very cool man, beauty.
I love the design and the walnut....I'd like something a bit darker than the white oak, maybe a stain....just my non-carpenter- non-skilled-woodworker-self's opinion.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's very cool man, beauty.
I love the design and the walnut....I'd like something a bit darker than the white oak, maybe a stain....just my non-carpenter- non-skilled-woodworker-self's opinion.
Thanks dude. Oak is def not my favorite. I just happened to have a big block of it. I’m not a big fan of using stains and prefer the natural color of wood as there are so many to fit any pallet! I like the combo, but I think the light wood would be better contrasted on the walnut if it had more intrigue in itself. Greg of BNut sent me some plans for a full size table that I used as inspiration. His plans had this incredible curly maple maple base. Looked great with a walnut top.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks dude. Oak is def not my favorite. I just happened to have a big block of it. I’m not a big fan of using stains and prefer the natural color of wood as there are so many to fit any pallet! I like the combo, but I think the light wood would be better contrasted on the walnut if it had more intrigue in itself. Greg of BNut sent me some plans for a full size table that I used as inspiration. His plans had this incredible curly maple maple base. Looked great with a walnut top.
Yeah man, I have to agree, I dont like stains either.... au naturale for sure.
I too like the combo, but not in a bonsai stand.
To me, the tree should be the thing that draws attention, followed by the pot and then finally the stand.

This stand, with its strikingly different colors will likely draw the eye away from the tree on it.

I am in no way trying to say anything negative about this stand or your work, both are killer! I just know how I've benefited from various criticism in my bonsai journey, and thought I'd give you my thoughts.

Keep up the great work!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah man, I have to agree, I dont like stains either.... au naturale for sure.
I too like the combo, but not in a bonsai stand.
To me, the tree should be the thing that draws attention, followed by the pot and then finally the stand.

This stand, with its strikingly different colors will likely draw the eye away from the tree on it.

I am in no way trying to say anything negative about this stand or your work, both are killer! I just know how I've benefited from various criticism in my bonsai journey, and thought I'd give you my thoughts.

Keep up the great work!
No offense taken! I think for this stand to work a powerful tree would be needed. oversized trunk with craggily bark and over the top deadwood. Or maybe a massive J maple or Hornbeam. None of which I have!😆 Ive got a few massive spruce though that just may work on this stand eventually. Im going to continue to make these wether Ive got trees for them or not. I make a living off of my design work, mostly wood jewelry furniture and lighting, but it would be awesome if I could get a stand commission from time to time.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No offense taken! I think for this stand to work a powerful tree would be needed. oversized trunk with craggily bark and over the top deadwood. Or maybe a massive J maple or Hornbeam. None of which I have!😆 Ive got a few massive spruce though that just may work on this stand eventually. Im going to continue to make these wether Ive got trees for them or not. I make a living off of my design work, mostly wood jewelry furniture and lighting, but it would be awesome if I could get a stand commission from time to time.
Hey, nice! I'm pickin up what you're puttin down bro. Lol!

I'll have to save up some stand scratch.....once I have a worthy bonsai....

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, nice! I'm pickin up what you're puttin down bro. Lol!

I'll have to save up some stand scratch.....once I have a worthy bonsai....
Yeah, my trees aren’t quite worthy yet either. But I feel like I’m close!

Honestly. I just love being able to practice bonsai every day. Truly brings me joy, and if I can mend my two worlds, then all the better. Funny thing is, my wife has been asking for a coffee table for over a year and all I do is keep making miniature coffee tables. 😂

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the lines of this stand. Something about the smallness of the ends of the legs, the feet if you will seems to be at odds with the thickness or heaviness of the upper parts of the stand. I also think that the two colors are problematic or would be I think for most folks. But it's nice workmanship, good for you!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the lines of this stand. Something about the smallness of the ends of the legs, the feet if you will seems to be at odds with the thickness or heaviness of the upper parts of the stand. I also think that the two colors are problematic or would be I think for most folks. But it's nice workmanship, good for you!
I personally love the low impact touch of the feet! But I do agree with you on the two tones of wood used. If I had gone with a walnut and a cherry, both darker, it may have worked much better. But such contrasting colors is probably a bit much.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ruler and French curve to come up with the leg pattern. Not pictured here is a template I cut so I could trace the pattern easily on each leg, even after I made the first curved cut.
The pattern
All cut
Sanded smooth on my bench top sander254136
Cross members cut and sanded254137
Glue up began with 2 dowels in each connection
Attaching each side of the base and the hidden members which make the top float.
Base assembled

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top cut and glued up using the 3/16” dowels. Walnut was cupped a bit, but nothing my Deealt surface planet couldn’t handle after glue dried!! 254141
Top glue up sanded and a small rabbit was cut into the top corner of the piece to give the Dadoed look in the final design. The mitered trim was then attached254143
Trim complete. Sanding commence! 254144
Added some more detail and sanding extensively. 120-220-320 by hand254146
Brass tube in hidden cross section to support the top with minimal material and maximum strength.254147
After dry fit I urethane the underside of the top and top side of the bottoms before attaching each. Once dried I assembled and urethane the whole piece. 3 coats. And finished it off with a good slathering of orange oil and beeswax. 254148
More of a woodworking demo than Bonsai. But maybe it will inspire some to make one of there own! My next stand idea is going to be way cooler!!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Top cut and glued up using the 3/16” dowels. Walnut was cupped a bit, but nothing my Deealt surface planet couldn’t handle after glue dried!! View attachment 254141
Top glue up sanded and a small rabbit was cut into the top corner of the piece to give the Dadoed look in the final design. The mitered trim was then attachedView attachment 254143
Trim complete. Sanding commence! View attachment 254144
Added some more detail and sanding extensively. 120-220-320 by handView attachment 254146
Brass tube in hidden cross section to support the top with minimal material and maximum strength.View attachment 254147
After dry fit I urethane the underside of the top and top side of the bottoms before attaching each. Once dried I assembled and urethane the whole piece. 3 coats. And finished it off with a good slathering of orange oil and beeswax. View attachment 254148
More of a woodworking demo than Bonsai. But maybe it will inspire some to make one of there own! My next stand idea is going to be way cooler!!
Nice work! I also had some concern about the high-contrast colors. It just gives you far fewer options with regard to what tree/pot combo you can display on it. But beautifully done, regardless!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work! I also had some concern about the high-contrast colors. It just gives you far fewer options with regard to what tree/pot combo you can display on it. But beautifully done, regardless!
Thanks J. Had to give it a go. But I’ve got some ideas for another stand. I’m going to create a tree, accent combo stand that represents our northern New Mexican arroyos. Hoping to put a one seed on one side and a hedgehog cactus on the other.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not to throw off on others opinions but I like everything about it. The small feet, the difference in the walnut and oak. Very nice!

D

Deleted member 21616

nice work @Hartinez ! great work!

Do you find the pegs for the floating top as solid as you would like? When i saw your first picture I imagined you had done it like this, and was surprised to see the pegs!

Top Bottom