FLOATING TOP BONSAI STAND #2

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice work @Hartinez ! great work!

Do you find the pegs for the floating top as solid as you would like? When i saw your first picture I imagined you had done it like this, and was surprised to see the pegs!

Hey Derek. Thanks for the kind words! I def find them sturdy. Being hardwood, I find that if I pre drill to exact depths and widths the metal pegs stay put. Plus the tubular hardened brass at that size would take a large amount of pressure before compressing or shearing. I also glue the pegs in the holes top and bottom using a high psi 2 part epoxy, so once the glue sets there is no movement. I’d be more worried that the dowels I used for the glue up would shear off under great force then the pegs moving about. But in order for that to happen you’d need to apply several hundred pounds to even get close.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice work @Hartinez ! great work!

Do you find the pegs for the floating top as solid as you would like? When i saw your first picture I imagined you had done it like this, and was surprised to see the pegs!

All 180 of my pounds standing on the stand. 254262

It’s a scale thing also. At that size I could get away with using very small pegs, which really helps sell the design.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
very innovative all around, and those shoes are perfect for it! Thanks for all the detailed documentation.
😂 thanks Judy! They are my topography slip ons. Vans type slip ons are my go to and Bucketfeet has the best of them. Fits my artist life! Creative and messy!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About a year and a half ago I decided to remove the walnut top on this piece with the intention of replacing it with matching oak. The oak base sat in my studio since then, with no action. I got the itch recently to finish the job. But rather than leave the light colored oak exposed, I decided to take a torch to it to blacken it out. After burning the oak, which already has an open grain, I covered the piece in a white, grain highlighting, finishing wax so there is a subtle contrast of white in the deep grain to contrast the dark black tone.

I wanted to make the change in the first place in response to everyone on here talking to me about what makes a good bonsai stand. I’ve also recognized that a much darker stand makes the tree pop that much more and I think the burnt wood look lends itself well. I will continue to make Alternate colored or contrasting bold stands, but this was a fun opportunity to try out an idea.

What do you think?

743AA073-ED44-4C0D-A51C-31107C41C487.jpegC2198F3D-EAFB-4173-920F-1C31A8EAC93D.jpeg
50716C74-E5F2-4A3B-BB4B-6009AE36187A.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks good, but I can still see a bit of the natural oak color in the rabbit in the pic looking from above.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good, but I can still see a bit of the natural oak color in the rabbit in the pic looking from above.
Thanks patoon and Yup. Nothing much I can do about that. I would have had to burn each piece individually then assemble. Problem with that would be the amount of warping and twisting each piece would undergo individually. Doing it as a whole keeps the pieces from moving. If I tried to color that with burning I’d burn a hole right through the piece. Seeing that doesn’t bother me much as you can also see some natural bits through the grain as well.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it. You still thinking of selling it? :p😁
Hey MayanK!! Thanks for saying man! It’s officially on the Bonsai Auctions FB page right now with a few bids. Check it out if your on there! If not I will message you immediately if it doesn’t go. I appreciate your inquiry my man!!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scotchbright/S.O.S. pad rubbed gently along the wood's grain might "mute" some of the overly contrasting wax/burn image?

...maybe some ants?........

Nice table. :cool:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scotchbright/S.O.S. pad rubbed gently along the wood's grain might "mute" some of the overly contrasting wax/burn image?

A good rub with a microfiber cloth removed much of the finishing wax. I didnt want to take too much out though!

Love me both some gorillaz and little dragon. Hadnt seen this before. I dig it.

I got this burn/wax idea from a local craftsman who has really mastered this technique, but uses more than wax to add to his burns. His execution is flawless IMO. Ill post some pics of his stuff.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

A good rub with a microfiber cloth removed much of the finishing wax. I didnt want to take too much out though!

Love me both some gorillaz and little dragon. Hadnt seen this before. I dig it.

I got this burn/wax idea from a local craftsman who has really mastered this technique, but uses more than wax to add to his burns. His execution is flawless IMO. Ill post some pics of his stuff.
9CC80874-9EED-45D0-8EEE-310514203D94.jpeg
CA7A9DB8-03A0-4742-A4F5-19F4D7AA8FDD.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The black coloration isn't for every tree, but for a particular tree, I could see it being a very good display element. Good work.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The black coloration isn't for every tree, but for a particular tree, I could see it being a very good display element. Good work.
Thanks Judy! Out of curiosity. What do you prefer in terms of stand coloration? Deep and dark browns?

Top Bottom