Flood safety check in: Europeans alright?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20210717_145510.jpg
I wanted to go for a walk but the road is kind of.. wet. There used to be a lake right behind those trees. Now it's a mile wide river with trees!

IMG-20210717-WA0007.jpeg
This dyke is separating my village from the Maas river (runs through France, Germany, Belgium, parts of luxemburg, collecting more water on the way). Monday we'll have some serious increases in water level. Army has been deployed in some places.

In the south of the country along the river, two(?) villages have been evacuated. No big floods like in Germany and Belgium, but still a lot of damage from a foot of water flowing into peoples living rooms.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our news reports over 150 deaths and thousands homeless. One interview showed a water line near the ceiling in one house.
Wishing you all the best over there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HE IS MAD!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, lets check in.

We just had continuous rain for a few days. But nothing the system could not handle. When it started to rain I thought it was funny how much water was coming down and put my bbq up in the garage, because I had decided we were having grilled sausages.

1626588320431.png

Then news started to come in of minor rivers swelling. And once those hit the big reivers & raindischarge systems were becoming overloaded it was not so funny anymore, looking at what is happening maybe 50km south from here.

Now a few days later, some of the pictures coming from the region, with police calling for people NOT to visit the region. This was one of the images which really struck me.

1626588593125.png

No joke.
1626588831489.png

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All fine here 50 kilometers southwest of Frankfurt am Main, in the corner of Bavaria. We are situated on a hillside, and have had some issues (water in the cellar) during the past few years, so I can't deny I am a bit concerned when the rain gets going ... Further south in Bavaria it is much worse. One young man in the extended family is off for voluntary fire brigade service in North Rhine-Westphalia to clean up.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All fine here 50 kilometers southwest of Frankfurt am Main, in the corner of Bavaria. We are situated on a hillside, and have had some issues (water in the cellar) during the past few years, so I can't deny I am a bit concerned when the rain gets going ... Further south in Bavaria it is much worse. One young man in the extended family is off for voluntary fire brigade service in North Rhine-Westphalia to clean up.
Did you mean southeast of Frankfurt?

Lot of love for my German friends. Hope things return to normal quickly and there are no new rains for a while.

[EDIT] I just realized - this was my 10,000th post[/EDIT]

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw the reports on the news of the flooding and the devastation. Incredible and tragic for the people who lost their homes and loved ones

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you mean southeast of Frankfurt?

Lot of love for my German friends. Hope things return to normal quickly and there are no new rains for a while.

[EDIT] I just realized - this was my 10,000th post[/EDIT]
Yes, of course it is southeast, I just got confused trying to think about where I am in relation to other places. As well as you I hope the rains will stay away and the sun will come back again. :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, of course it is southeast, I just got confused trying to think about where I am in relation to other places. As well as you I hope the rains will stay away and the sun will come back again. :)
I lived a couple of years outside of Pirmasens, which is about 150 kilometers SW of Frankfurt, so at first I thought you might be talking about somewhere close to where I used to live :)

Reaction score
Here in the Azores we had a flood maybe 3 weeks ago. Two people died that were taken, inside the car, down with the water into the sea. But not this time.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have conflicting emotions when I read these posts... because I know right now the Western US is suffering a horrific multi-year drought - worse than anything I experienced in the 25 years I lived there.

And yet Europe is flooding.

I wish we could figure a quick way to relocate water from where there is too much... to where there is too little.

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I lived a couple of years outside of Pirmasens, which is about 150 kilometers SW of Frankfurt, so at first I thought you might be talking about somewhere close to where I used to live :)
Aha - had to look that place up on Wikipedia. The closest "large" town to where I live that you can find on a decent map is Aschaffenburg.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This dyke is separating my village from the Maas river (runs through France, Germany, Belgium, parts of luxemburg, collecting more water on the way).
I live upstream from you, in France, a few kilometers from where the Chiers (coming from Luxembourg) meets the Meuse. The valley on the other side of the hill (where the Chiers runs) flooded on Thursday night, the water reached 70cm above the historical record. The Meuse runs at the end of my garden, and remained quite low through the rain. Four roads around me are still under water.

The forecast is dry until the weekend, followed by heavy rains... stay dry and safe!

Top Bottom