Florida/ bougainvillea bonsai

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I just bought a bougainvillea bonsai - live in Florida. I see bougainvillea everywhere in Florida and are drought resistant. However, we haven't had much rain lately and I have been testing/watching to know when to water versus when not too.
I thought since bougainvillea are so drought resistant I could see if not watering every few days and it would survive well. Right now, I have it sitting in full sun.

However, the flowers started falling off and the green leaves started wilting. Are the potted bougainvillea bonsai NOT the same as the bougainvillea that is in the ground?

So confused.

Any help you can give is appreciated!!
Jackie

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They like to dry out between waterings...but in a pot they draw no moisture from the ground. You will have to water more frequently than in the ground. Especially with your heat temps.

Reaction score
That makes so much sense. thank you so much!

Also, should it stay in full sun as it is in a pot or should I give it half shade as we are in SW Florida?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That makes so much sense. thank you so much!

Also, should it stay in full sun as it is in a pot or should I give it half shade as we are in SW Florida?

I asked my friend from Florida. Waiting on a reply. I live up north. My bougainvillea sits in full sun and loves it when it goes out on the bench.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My friend is on vacation...but got back to me.

Bougies are very popular landscape plants and can grow 10’ and taller! Yes, full sun for ten....hotter the better. But very different in a contained pot. Here in CentFlo, mine are in dapple sun/shade most of the day. Maybe 1-2 hrs of sun in late afternoon. Maybe if I had a recent repot (soil has degraded now) ...later this summer!.....and were watered 2x daily, they’d probably be ok.

Note:Too much water with potted bogies and the wood rots. I have had that with 2. Wood is not very hard and tends to become like balsa wood!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It takes some time for "too wet" to cause problems.

Too dry, even if "drought tolerant", kills faster than you can adjust for.

Water more. Win Fast Or Win High.

Sorce

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have mine in full sun and water everyday. Every other day when it’s not very hot. Like December and January.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You see them EAT houses in Florida... so THAT’S pretty cool.

🤓

(All important info has been exchaged)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to Crazy!

It takes some time for "too wet" to cause problems.

Too dry, even if "drought tolerant", kills faster than you can adjust for.

Water more. Win Fast Or Win High.

Sorce
I water when needed and allow to look a tad dry. If the foliage goes limp its past time to water. Needed done before then.

BUT I am up north...and I know Florida is an entire different can of worms with their humidity and such. Thus reached out to one who grows bonsai and has a bench full of bougainvillea. If a trunk can rot...she's lived it twice. So it pays to understand climate...and what pros and cons can effect one. Water more yes...or, change location of the tree so it won't need watered as often. Like my friend did. Their heat and what we see are two different scenarios.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm in Florida and will concur with Cadillactaste. You need to water more often that you would if the bougie was in the ground. Let the soil dry out between watering events. On really hot days in the summer (10a west coast of FL), my newly repotted bougies wilt in the heat. This was not a problem for me and bounced back quickly when the temps went down slightly. Say from 96F with >80% humidity to 91F with <80% humidity.

Top Bottom