Florida Elm

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
hello Everyone,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and I like the tone of this forum (thanks Graydon).....So here's my first post.
This is a florida elm forest of mine. I took this pic on a whim and I thought I'd share it with you.

Jay

Attachments

• P1040368b.jpg
    P1040368b.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 121

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
nice

Jay,

That looks good! You should drop by our club meeting, bring that or anything else you want to show off with you.
George

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jay,

Do you, by chance have a lighter picture? This one is too dark to make out any detail but the outermost branches.

Will Heath

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
George, I plan on coming to the next meeting. Thanks.

Will,
I haven't got a current pic but I'll take one tomorrow and post it.
I took the above shot on purpose as a silhouett. I just liked the way it came out... tree against a dark winter sky kind of thing.
Jay

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the picture also, it shows off the branching well. I was curious as to the bark, nebari, pot, ground cover....the structure is nice, it left me wanting more. That's a good thing!

Will Heath

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
You'll be disapointed in the nebari, pot, etc.
It's in a clay tray right now and has grown itself right out of the thing. I'm waiting a little longer until I repot and do some root work.

Jay

Attachments

• PC290307a.JPG
    PC290307a.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 85

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will preface my comments by saying that this forest planting is better than anything I have ever done so take everything I say in the spirit of constructive feedback :)

I really like the silhouette and the upper 50%. As I move down the trunks of the trees I think it could use a little more work. There seem to be a lot of low branches that muddy the design (to me). The tree grouping on the left appears less clean - there are a lot of crossed trunks and some tangled-looking branches. This might be a function of the photo and the angle, but I believe it could just generally be cleaned up. I think it might also benefit from a little more contrast between trunk thicknesses (especially within the left group).

All of this may already be apparent to you. I myself am very aware of many of the flaws in my trees and yet there is not much I can do about it - at least not for a few more years!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I agree with BonsaiNut, I see a lot of potential in this piece, sure it needs defining and ramification, but that will come in time. What concerns me is that it seems you have the forest planted much too high in the pot. I realize that this is not the final pot, but at the current planting height, it looks as though you are encouraging root growth far lower than you would want. Maybe I am missing something, but it looks as though the roots were already shallow before being sat on top of more soil?

Will Heath

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Bonsainut,
I appreicate your input and the spirit in which you give it. Thanks!
The lower parts of the group do look cluttered and muddy. A lot of this is a result of the low angle of the pic and the limitations of 2D. I find it hard to take pictures that show the depth of trees.
This forest is almost as deep as it is wide, so the trunks in the back appear confused with the front in 2D.
This is of course a work in progress and I hadn't planned on posting pics yet......

But, plans change.

I'll work on getting some pics together today and I'll post them tonight.

Hey Will,
Thanks for your interest.
It does look like it's planted high but that's what I meant when I said it's grown itself out of the tray. It was planted level last spring and the roots have grown so strongly that they have filled the tray and pushed the whole thing out of the pot an inch or so.

This happened to all my Fl. elms last year, so I think that this year I'll have to do a summer root prune as well as in the spring.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Here are some more pics taken today.
First the front, then left side, back, right side and one with a golf ball for size.
The pics still don't show the depth of the trees. It doesen't look near as cluttered in person.
I expect at least another year of development before it starts looking like I hope.
Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• EF jan 12-07front.jpg
    EF jan 12-07front.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 71
  • EF jan 12-07left.jpg
    EF jan 12-07left.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 43
  • EF jan 12-07back.jpg
    EF jan 12-07back.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • EF jan 12-07right.jpg
    EF jan 12-07right.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 32
  • EF jan 12-07ball.jpg
    EF jan 12-07ball.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a quick virtual that shows what a minor cleanup would accomplish. The second attachment has my thoughts on it.

Will Heath

Attachments

• cleanup.jpg
    cleanup.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 31
  • notated.jpg
    notated.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40

Nigel Black

Yamadori
Reaction score
What species of Elm is this 'Florida Elm"?

I've never heard this common name before.

Nigel

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Jay
Looking good!! You have done a nice job. You know forest plantings take time and they just get better with time. I like what you have done and when you re pot into a proper container I think it will bring out the composition even more.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's a quick virtual that shows what a minor cleanup would accomplish. The second attachment has my thoughts on it.

Will Heath

We are definitely on the same page. I reduced the left even further, and would consider removing a trunk over there because it still feels heavy to me. I eliminated more interior branches on the left as well. Also, I reduced the canopy on the left, both cutting breaks into the canopy line, as well as reducing the line overall. These are really just refinements to what is already a very good design. I need to get motivated to try another forest one of these days!

forestvirt.jpg

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Nigel,
Florida elm is a local variety of the American elm. I believe it's: Ulmus Americana var. floridana

Thanks John,
I'll be looking for a pot this year and by spring of 2008 maybe it will be ready for one.

Will and Bonsainut,
I see what ya'll are doing. Pulling the old 'less is more' thing on me ...and it works too:)
Your virtuals make a great improvement and I'll refer to them this year as I work on it. I especially like the broken up canopy line.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsainut,

Much cleaner, indeed, good work.

Now, just a distant tree in the right hand gap....

(Just having some fun and trying different ideas out...nothing serious)

Will Heath

Attachments

• forestvirt.jpg
    forestvirt.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Will,
Thanks for the virt with it in a pot and moss. With your and bonsainuts work, my little forest is really looking good on my screen......Now if i can just make it happen.

Jay

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice Virt Will, The moss cleans really cleans it up and accents the path which really gives some depth to this composition. Well done

Top Bottom