Florida Sand Live Oak

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I bought this tree as nursery stock from a Florida native nursery about 1-1/2 years ago; it is a Florida sand live oak. The reason I bought it is because of its very tiny leaves. At the moment (spring) just about all of them were about 1/2" and was very well ramified, but about 8' tall, so I shortened it to about 3' from the soil line.

This tree is pushing it on my limit of size, so I will either cut it down to no about 2' or sell it on ebay... I don't know yet.

The trunk is about 2-1/2" diameter, and the nebari at the soil line is about 4".

Like many oaks, it has a widening at the bottom of the trunk, in this case it makes a real good taper (in my mind). I was asked to post pictures by a user at another forum, but since I am using the nut to document my trees I am posting it here.

If you have any suggestions or you are used to working with this species please feel free to continue this thread.

The pictures:
- Leave sizes: This seasons' leaves = 3/8" to 1/2", about 8 months old leave = 1", last year's leaves: 1-1/2"
- The whole tree
- Nebari front
- Nebari back

Attachments

• sand_live_oak_leaves.jpg
    sand_live_oak_leaves.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 79
  • sand_live_oak_nov_2008.jpg
    sand_live_oak_nov_2008.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 150
  • sand_live_oak_nebari_front_nov_2008.jpg
    sand_live_oak_nebari_front_nov_2008.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 90
  • sand_live_oak_nebari_back_nov_2008.jpg
    sand_live_oak_nebari_back_nov_2008.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
an idea

Onlrey,

Nice tree, here is a quick vert I did as a suggestion. Saw the trunk off above the branch growing up on the right center where I began my shading. That branch will quickly grow into a new leader and create more taper. Be sure you do not cut too close to the branches you want to keep. I always leave more stub in the beginning, it can be trimmed back further with pruners later on. This tree could be styled as a broom if that suits your taste. Tomorrow I will take a few pictures of an oak I am working on in a similar fashion. I also think the tree should be potted into a larger shallow box or pot to give more root run as you grow the new branches and heal the cuts.
I see this tree's final height about 6 inches taller than the chop I suggest.
The leader will need to be left to grow without pruning until it is about 1/3 the size of the trunk below it. Then you can begin pruning to line.
I hope This makes sense, I have been known to babble.

George

Attachments

• sand_live_oak_nov_2008.jpg
    sand_live_oak_nov_2008.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 102

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
George,

Thanks for the comments, they do make sense. Yes, what you are suggesting is probably what I intend to do in Spring. I haven't seen an oak styled in broom style yet, but I will try it with this one. I am interested in seeing your oak progression.

Thanks

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
pix

Onlyrey,
here is a picture of the cut site on the oak I am working on.

When I cut this tree, I just cut it straight across, there was no branching anywhere. The growth you see is two years worth and the tree is about 10 feet tall right now.
I will carve into the cut site in the spring and then let the top grow another year untrimmed. This should finish healing the wound, then I can begin reducing the top.

Attachments

• DSC_0016small.jpg
    DSC_0016small.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0015small.jpg
    DSC_0015small.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 94

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wahoo, nice tree; I can see the broom there already. What is the size of that tree? What kind of oak is it?

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It actually hasn't changed much. I moved to SC a couple of years and put it at my parents garden in FL for about 3 years (about a year before moving), during that time, my parents also moved and I had to move the tree also. Their gardener came off season and trimmed it as if were a bush, etc. .. But, somehow it made it and I brought it to SC this winter. If it comes out of dormancy, it won't be much different than in 8 years ago. I'll update this post with a pic if it wakes up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom