Florida Watch Your Plants Tonight

Reaction score
Watch your Plants tonight and tomorrow nite !!!
Here in Florida it is suppose to get the coldest
it has gotten all year... Not only do we not want
to loose any trees, Yikes ! But, seeing that it has
been in the high eighties and even the nineties,
for about the past month, Every plant I have is
pushing growth all over, and don't want to loose
any of that fragile new growth. Where I am at,
we are under Freeze and frost warnings...

Will be spending the rest of the day bringing in
everything !!! Then taking asprin to numb the pain !!!
:)

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Cold indeed. Not "supposed" to freeze here, but the weatherman has been off by a few degrees before. I've brought all the sensitive plants in, as well as a few nicer ones that just won't like hanging out in the mid 30's. A freeze at this point would be bad news for lots of my things - in pots and in the ground.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Kitchen Headquarter! This time I was smart enough to move the coffee machine into reach..;)

Stay warm Floridians (and others!)

-Dorothy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good luck guys!

We are also expecting a temperature dip but only 39*F so not that bad. All my tropicals are in the garage anyway and they are coming out tomorrow before noon. :cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Spent all day putting tropicals under frost blankets. Hopefully it doesn't get as cold as My friend Mike Rogers predicted in our area. There is only 5 miles between the two of us. That would be bad. The hardy trees are busting out all over. All my collected cypress are in leaf. And those seem to be the trees that have the hardest time coming back from a hard freeze after popping.

Reaction score
Cold indeed. Not "supposed" to freeze here, but the weatherman has been off by a few degrees before. I've brought all the sensitive plants in, as well as a few nicer ones that just won't like hanging out in the mid 30's. A freeze at this point would be bad news for lots of my things - in pots and in the ground.
The other thing I have found often is that the temps can be different
at various heights, as well as various locations in my yard.
I also learned long time ago not to trust the weather man, I don't
know how many times I've gotten burned.

Nowdays, I just don't take the chance...

Reaction score
Good luck guys!

We are also expecting a temperature dip but only 39*F so not that bad. All my tropicals are in the garage anyway and they are coming out tomorrow before noon. :cool:
It's funny, seeing that it really isn't going to be that cold
considering what some here have been experiencing for
some time now...

But, seeing that I was in shorts and t-shirt yesterday getting
sun burned, working on my trees, and today I am working
on bringing them in so they don't freeze, go figure ???

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sorry but I find tropical temp alerts kinda humorous. When we get temperate it gets to like 45F. All I need to worry about is if the trees didnt get enough water with the last snow or not. Dont mean to belittle the temp event, but it's kinda nice not to have to worry about this kind of stuff.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Spent all day putting tropicals under frost blankets. Hopefully it doesn't get as cold as My friend Mike Rogers predicted in our area. There is only 5 miles between the two of us. That would be bad. The hardy trees are busting out all over. All my collected cypress are in leaf. And those seem to be the trees that have the hardest time coming back from a hard freeze after popping.
Mike Rogers has been around the block a time or too !!!
He might be right. :) I am just glad we aren't having the winters like we did 3 years ago,
any more... I lost so much stuff, between the freezes, and the having to being inside for so long.

Reaction score
sorry but I find tropical temp alerts kinda humorous. When we get temperate it gets to like 45F. All I need to worry about is if the trees didnt get enough water with the last snow or not. Dont mean to belittle the temp event, but it's kinda nice not to have to worry about this kind of stuff.:rolleyes:
Hey, cheer up !!! Just think come Tuesday, I will be back in
shorts and T-shirts again, getting sunburned... and you will be shoveling snow !!!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I understand. Our recent dip into the low 30's happened after buds started to pop... It is not that it is especially cold it is just the change on the tenders that is rough.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey, cheer up !!! Just think come Tuesday, I will be back in
shorts and T-shirts again, getting sunburned... and you will be shoveling snow !!!
Oh thanks! My back just started to spasm thinking about that. Actually we have not had a shovelable snow for going on two years. Seems to me I did maintenance after winter 2011 on my snowblower and havent needed it since. But still ready for springtime. I just saw crocus Friday so it is not far away.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a low of 26 degrees here in middle Georgia Sunday morning and 25 projected for Monday. Fortunately, most of my deciduous trees have not started budding out yet. My tropicals are still inside under grow lights.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's been 32F here all day, must be rough for you all :rolleyes:

Reaction score
They are now predicting that it is going to get even colder
tonight than orginally thought... They are saying high 20's
where I'm at. :(

Top Bottom