Flower on a Bougie??

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
mpvJZ7.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic quality, its a pic of a pic my buddy sent me in an email because for some reason it would not save to my PC. Anyway, at the show back in August my buddy bought a little bougainvillea. He sent me this pic yesterday, it has a small white flower on it now. I've had bougies for about 3-4 years and get nice pink bracts on mine, but I have never seen an actual flower like this on one. What gives???

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Carol 83 yep that is exactly how his looks. That is so strange now I'm wondering how come mine never get those little flowers?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 yep that is exactly how his looks. That is so strange now I'm wondering how come mine never get those little flowers?
Don't know. Mine all do, once the bracts are completely open.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You might be cursed.

I guess so lol. This is just so weird. My bougies always get nice bright bracts on them that open up but to this day I have never had a single flower. That's what threw me when my buddy got one on his. I always knew my trees hated me, this just confirms it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You're half way farther than I am....
I'm 2 years in with a little bougie that I've been trying to make flower....still all green.
Maybe this winter.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You're half way farther than I am....
I'm 2 years in with a little bougie that I've been trying to make flower....still all green.
Maybe this winter.
I have a couple that bloom almost constantly. But one nice one I've had for over a year, refuses to bloom no matter how much I ply it with Bougain and Bloom Booster. Stubborn damn thing. I think it's a male tree.;)

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine never really bloomed much till I started hitting them with Bougain. That plus letting them dry out a bit usually gets them blooming well.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
RpyfGH.jpg

While we're on the subject. Here's my bougie that I defoliated a month ago. It's pushed out a nice set of new leaves already.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just pull the leaves off and it blooms naturally about a week or so later....with those cool little eye-catching flowers. Sometimes those flowers are way inside with a very short stem....unseen if you’re not searching for the inner flower.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just pull the leaves off and it blooms naturally about a week or so later....with those cool little eye-catching flowers.

Great another one that gets those nice little flowers. All I hear is like listening to a Charlie Brown teacher ... Waaa waaaa waa waaa wa wa :p;)

All kiddin aside I really don't get it why I have not had a single white flower on mine :( They are healthy, they bracts turn nice and pink, but no dice on the flowers for some reason.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great another one that gets those nice little flowers. All I hear is like listening to a Charlie Brown teacher ... Waaa waaaa waa waaa wa wa :p;)

All kiddin aside I really don't get it why I have not had a single white flower on mine :( They are healthy, they bracts turn nice and pink, but no dice on the flowers for some reason.
I practice neglect. Full sun. Limited watering. No root pruning. Neglect is a bit different than I’m used to in care...but works for me.

Top Bottom