Flowering Barbados Cherry.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey, my Barbados cherry is getting ready to flower for the first time(since I have had it). Tips on care? Watering, fertilizing, etc. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180916_091322.jpg
    20180916_091322.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180916_091430.jpg
    20180916_091430.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 16

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Congrats! I have several, and they are pretty forgiving. Don't let it dry out too much, but don't let it stay soaking wet. Full sun here, seems to burn the leaves, mine prefer morning sun and some shade in the afternoon. Even after repotting, mine started blooming a couple weeks later. Only had one actual cherry this year though. If the branches get too long, they will lose leaves close to the trunk. I prune back to a couple sets of leaves, and they back bud nicely.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Congrats! I have several, and they are pretty forgiving. Don't let it dry out too much, but don't let it stay soaking wet. Full sun here, seems to burn the leaves, mine prefer morning sun and some shade in the afternoon. Even after repotting, mine started blooming a couple weeks later. Only had one actual cherry this year though. If the branches get too long, they will lose leaves close to the trunk. I prune back to a couple sets of leaves, and they back bud nicely.
Thank you Carol. I moved into an apartment so I can't keep it outside anymore, but grow lights seem to help supplement window light. Is there a certain time of the year you like to prune them? I just figured I would do any pruning I want mid to late summer.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you Carol. I moved into an apartment so I can't keep it outside anymore, but grow lights seem to help supplement window light. Is there a certain time of the year you like to prune them? I just figured I would do any pruning I want mid to late summer.
I've been pruning as needed all summer, with good results. Although several of mine were sold as Dwarf Barbados Cherrys, they look more like the weeping variety, so pruning before the branches get too long is more important, from what I've read. Mine do fine in the winter, with a southern exposure, and additional lighting. But they really take off, while outside.

Top Bottom