Flowering Bonsai?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I'd post a pic of these spring blooms.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 55

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A. rubrum of course.

How do you find A. rubrum works out for bonsai? I hear conflicting opinions regarding them as bonsai material. I'm in S. Fla and it's actually native to here, so it would be a logical choice.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A rubrum is bonsaiable, but not easily. In North Florida there is a variety with very small (1.5-inch) leaves, and it is more suitable than the ones that grow around here (3 inches). I find, however, that developing close internode spacing and ramification is almost impossible. They would have to be large bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd agree with Jim. The North Fla. subspecies is A. Rubrum "drummondii" and works a lot better than the main species.

I've run across some pretty interesting A. rubrum trunks, but they're not easy at all to handle as bonsai --- extremely long leaf internodes, stiff, upright growth habits and leaf size are all issues that ultimately made me give up on the species. It's too much of a headache and I've got more easygoing species to devote time to...:D

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'd agree with Jim. The North Fla. subspecies is A. Rubrum "drummondii" and works a lot better than the main species.

I've run across some pretty interesting A. rubrum trunks, but they're not easy at all to handle as bonsai --- extremely long leaf internodes, stiff, upright growth habits and leaf size are all issues that ultimately made me give up on the species. It's too much of a headache and I've got more easygoing species to devote time to...:D

All great info, Thanks.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Jim Lewis has an article at Brents -Evergreen Garden works re. the red maple, check it out, he goes into depth. But being from Fla., it's probably based on the Fla. version of the tree, but I'd bet it works somewhat for the std. version.

Mikee002

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Jim Lewis has an article at Brents -Evergreen Garden works re. the red maple, check it out, he goes into depth. But being from Fla., it's probably based on the Fla. version of the tree, but I'd bet it works somewhat for the std. version.

I have that one bookmarked and have read it many times. Brent and the Evergreen Garden Works "articles" are a wealth of great info.

Top Bottom