Flowering cascade/semi-cascade?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What would be a good flowering species for a cascade/semi-cascade? I've been image searching, but haven't find anything super exciting.

I have a tallish light green glazed pot, and I'm not sure what to use it for.

I'll take a photo of the pot when I get home this afternoon.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the suggestions; agree about the bones. Just looking for a place to start :)

It isn't a huge pot, so I could probably train something smallish from a nursery for a few years first.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been wanting a pyracantha, maybe my neighbors will let me do an air layer.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
One really needs the bones to lend itself as well to that style...or it will always feel forced.

This, I believe, is the most important part.

Keep all of this “species-specific” information you were provided with. Start your process with THESE two thoughts...

1. You enjoy the appearance of flowering trees. (Seek out the ones you enjoy most.)

2. You enjoy the appearance of a cascade/semi-cascade presentation. (Keep this in mind while examining structures of the flowering trees you are seeking out.)

You will find where the “circles” of your “graph” intersect. (And most likely OTHER preferences, as well.)

:)

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If a tropical will work you can't beat a bougainvillea for a cascading flowering tree that develops pretty quickly.

I do have a small bougie, but I'm just trying to keep it alive in Maine at the moment :)

Azaleas tend to make excellent cascades. Many, actually most Satsuki and kurume azalea tend to be wider than tall. This basal dominance makes cascades easier.

This was my other thought originally.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do have a small bougie, but I'm just trying to keep it alive in Maine at the moment :)

This was my other thought originally.

Bougies can do fine up north...I notice they prefer when indoors...grow lights for 18 hours a day to grow happily through winter. I've had this one quite a while...Of course when weather permits...Get them outside.
94640435_3158573820830265_7685559773911056384_n.jpg

When it first arrived...
95690914_3158566834164297_6307763913513500672_n.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The deeper the cascade, the more difficult it is to keep growth balanced. When I get home to my laptop, I'll share photos of mine.

A full cascade the decending branch extends below the foot of the pot. The semi-cascade the branch terminates between the rim and the foot of the pot. Full Cascades are a pain, as they always have to be at the edge of a shelf, so the decending branch doesn't get broken.

To keep foliage balanced, the upper parts of the cascade will sometimes need pruning 3 times more often than the lowest part of the tree.

To start a cascade, first plant the trunk at an angle. A trunk that is perfectly vertical, looks wrong on a cascade. I'd angle the trunk to either 60 degrees or even down to 30 degrees off horizontal. The younger the tree when you change the angle of the trunk the better. This allows you to develop the root flare, or butress at the base of the trunk (nebari). You can work out the decending branch later.

This is just the start.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bougies can do fine up north...I notice they prefer when indoors...grow lights for 18 hours a day to grow happily through winter. I've had this one quite a while...Of course when weather permits...Get them outside.

Mine did pretty well under some LEDs this winter in my office, had a few flowers and was looking much better than the sad state I found it in at the nursery. I have high pressure sodium lights at home, but not sure I want to send the $ on the electricity. I'll have to do some research on new ones.

It's been outside for awhile, but I rushed the sun exposure a bit too much and burned most of the leaves. New ones are just starting to pop everywhere.

Might need a rebuild anyway - there are a few sharp angles I don't love. Plan on taking some cuttings as well.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That Bougie is se-e-e-EXY!!

I notice they prefer when indoors...grow lights for 18 hours a day to grow happily through winter.

Second! (..for this is what I do, as well... 18(ish)/6(ish)

Can’t wait to see it, @Leo in N E Illinois :) :) :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The deeper the cascade, the more difficult it is to keep growth balanced. When I get home to my laptop, I'll share photos of mine.

A full cascade the decending branch extends below the foot of the pot. The semi-cascade the branch terminates between the rim and the foot of the pot. Full Cascades are a pain, as they always have to be at the edge of a shelf, so the decending branch doesn't get broken.

To keep foliage balanced, the upper parts of the cascade will sometimes need pruning 3 times more often than the lowest part of the tree.

To start a cascade, first plant the trunk at an angle. A trunk that is perfectly vertical, looks wrong on a cascade. I'd angle the trunk to either 60 degrees or even down to 30 degrees off horizontal. The younger the tree when you change the angle of the trunk the better. This allows you to develop the root flare, or butress at the base of the trunk (nebari). You can work out the decending branch later.

This is just the start.

Thanks, Leo... I’ll take and use this advice, as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine did pretty well under some LEDs this winter in my office, had a few flowers and was looking much better than the sad state I found it in at the nursery. I have high pressure sodium lights at home, but not sure I want to send the $ on the electricity. I'll have to do some research on new ones.

It's been outside for awhile, but I rushed the sun exposure a bit too much and burned most of the leaves. New ones are just starting to pop everywhere.

Might need a rebuild anyway - there are a few sharp angles I don't love. Plan on taking some cuttings as well.
Honestly...I have old T bulbs...and mine grows quite nicely under it. Cheaper to run...As you can see...I've developed it quite nicely with my set up. Glad it's doing so well for you and looks better than before. I know some who defoliate their tropical, before setting outside. I've never done that...I've also not experienced burnt leaves and mine is in full sun. But a fun species...if you don't mind the grow lights come winter.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There's a bewildering array of LED available now, with a wide range of performance. LED promise to be the most energy efficient. But initial cost of LED can be steep. Hit your local marijuana grow shop to "kick tires" and comparison shop. I've had real serious quality issues with LED. Often they failed the first time you plug them in. So I recommend buying from brick and mortar, where you can return and complain if it doesn't work.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's a bewildering array of LED available now, with a wide range of performance. LED promise to be the most energy efficient. But initial cost of LED can be steep. Hit your local marijuana grow shop to "kick tires" and comparison shop. I've had real serious quality issues with LED. Often they failed the first time you plug them in. So I recommend buying from brick and mortar, where you can return and complain if it doesn't work.

Agreed! That's where my HPS lights are from, back when I participated in that "hobby."

It's also the only place I can find pumice.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Agreed! Simply through perusing and sourcing “deals”, I managed to set up a fairly adequate indoor space (Roughly HALF LED) for a VERY reasonable amount of money.

(The problems that I DID have were that WEREN’T related to my lack of electrical experience where taken care of by the companies promptly and without argument.)

Top Bottom