Flowering Crabapple cutting???

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a flowering crabapple in my front yard that i would like to take some cuttings. is it too late in the season to do this? can I use any part of the tree or should I only use branches from this years growth? there is a cool twisted branch higher up in the canopy that would be great but it's a pretty established branch.

I'm not sure of the type but it had pink/white flowers in the spring and has little red berries about the size of blueberries. they almost look like mini cherries.

The tree is pretty overgrown so it's getting a hair cut regardless!

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could probably take some semi hardwood cuttings now, but it may be a bit late. Wait till all the leaves drop then you can get true hardwood cuttings. Look that up on the internet.
As for the cool twisty branch you'll want to air layer that in the spring when the tree is growing.
Seeds? I don't know about crab apple seeds but that may work too.
CW

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! i did a little more research and I think I have a plan now. The tree is FULL of berries so i have massive seed supply, i think i'll have sprouts popping up in the the grass in the spring, i will try to transplant those before mowing season.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a flowering crabapple in my front yard that i would like to take some cuttings. is it too late in the season to do this? can I use any part of the tree or should I only use branches from this years growth? there is a cool twisted branch higher up in the canopy that would be great but it's a pretty established branch.

I'm not sure of the type but it had pink/white flowers in the spring and has little red berries about the size of blueberries. they almost look like mini cherries.

The tree is pretty overgrown so it's getting a hair cut regardless!
You could wait till spring and take some air layers. If ur gunna trim it anyway air layers are better

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll try air layering in the spring as well, It looks pretty simple to do. Thanks!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks! i did a little more research and I think I have a plan now. The tree is FULL of berries so i have massive seed supply, i think i'll have sprouts popping up in the the grass in the spring, i will try to transplant those before mowing season.
The problem with propagating crabapples from seed is that it can take seedlings over 20 years to flower and fruit. By propagating with mature wood, whether cuttings or layers, you get flowers and fruit immediately.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got 4 seedlings I sprouted 2 months ago. I'm prepared to wait but if I could air layer one I would

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The problem with propagating crabapples from seed is that it can take seedlings over 20 years to flower and fruit. By propagating with mature wood, whether cuttings or layers, you get flowers and fruit immediately.

wow, that is a long time.... I'm actually going to try all three, seeds, cuttings & layering next spring. At the very least i'll learn from the whole process.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Just harvested this air layer today. I have a few more i need to remove this weekend. Just waiting for the leaves to drop. Airlayers work on crabs quite well.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181017_172128.jpg
    MVIMG_20181017_172128.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 22

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just harvested this air layer today. I have a few more i need to remove this weekend. Just waiting for the leaves to drop. Airlayers work on crabs quite well.

Fantastic! That's exactly what i'm hoping to collect off my tree.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I've been putting it off year after year by only doing a few. Next spring I'm planning on placing a metric shit ton of them between several different trees I have access to. Nothing beats a flowering and fruiting tree

Top Bottom