Flowering Desert Rose, Adenium obesum

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just thought I post a few pictures of my Desert Rose Bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 104

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've always liked that plant, but there isn't mutch you can do to make a bonsai, because the branches cansnap under slight weight, and the trunk can't be wired. but they are nice for flowering each summer. and it is one of the only succulent woody scrubs that are easy to come by. I have one I trained like a madagaskan bottle tree.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
DannyBonsai: Yes, they're not ideal for manipulating like other trees. Having said that, it doesn't mean that you can't shape them. I saw this one at the home depot about 4 years ago and thought it had some potential. I started shaping it to a bonsai style since, which meant I had to gradually cut the fleshy roots that were about the same size as the plant itself. It was just a regular house plant when I got it. Whoever says Adeniums can't be bonsai, are "bonsai snobs." Check out these links to videos on desert rose bonsai's in southeast asia.
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfHiEuASpU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw_6xCQfEhw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROgVMGhWNa8&feature=related

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I agree they do make good bonsai, but there are the "traditional, only-asian tree-species will work-with-only-traditional-styles folks. Kind of like the painters who only copy other's work. the art will never grow unless people try new styles and plants. Desert rose is now where schefflera and ficus were 15 years ago. in regards to my previous post, I wonder how an actual bottle tree bonsai would look?

Rachael

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
DannyBonsai: Yes, they're not ideal for manipulating like other trees. Having said that, it doesn't mean that you can't shape them. I saw this one at the home depot about 4 years ago and thought it had some potential. I started shaping it to a bonsai style since, which meant I had to gradually cut the fleshy roots that were about the same size as the plant itself. It was just a regular house plant when I got it. Whoever says Adeniums can't be bonsai, are "bonsai snobs." Check out these links to videos on desert rose bonsai's in southeast asia.
:)

I love your plant!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ Could you please keep us updated? I also have a post in Tropicals- "Adenium (Desert Rose) Caudex & Bonsai Process", that I'd like you to look at.

Wondering if mine had potential or if it's too straight and what I could do to make it look better for the bonsai process.

Thank you!

Top Bottom