Flowering quince, Double Take Peach, from nursery stock.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Started this quince a couple of years ago. After watching buds swell last spring, I went out one day to find it pretty much picked clean by hungry little birds. I hope they liked them at least. Decided to change it's look and went wind swept. Broke a couple of branches but nothing major. 20201220_114731.jpg20201220_114622.jpg20201220_114652.jpg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Does anyone know if the leaves of these quinces will reduce with defoliation? Thanks

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s not likely, nor worth it, not would it be good for the plant.

There’s really no good reason to do it anyways. There are a number of fantastic quinces with small leaves. Look for chojubai or Toyo Nishiki, just for starters, if you want a really nice quince with small leaves.

Check out Evergreen Gardenworks for some ideas

Cheers
DSD sends

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It’s not likely, nor worth it, not would it be good for the plant.

There’s really no good reason to do it anyways. There are a number of fantastic quinces with small leaves. Look for chojubai or Toyo Nishiki, just for starters, if you want a really nice quince with small leaves.

Check out Evergreen Gardenworks for some ideas

Cheers
DSD sends
I have both Chojubai and Toyo Nishiki, the Toyo Nishiki is the one I am referring to with long leaves, I always thought it the leaves were half the size it would look so much nicer. Thanks!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have both Chojubai and Toyo Nishiki, the Toyo Nishiki is the one I am referring to with long leaves, I always thought it the leaves were half the size it would look so much nicer. Thanks!

I have a nursery Toyo Nishiki that has large leaves too. Also a bonsai type Toyo Nishiki with very small leaf size. Not sure if it’s a separate version, or not.

Matt Ouwinga is close by you, you might give him a call at KaedeBonsai-en

best
DSD sends

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a nursery Toyo Nishiki that has large leaves too. Also a bonsai type Toyo Nishiki with very small leaf size. Not sure if it’s a separate version, or not.

Matt Ouwinga is close by you, you might give him a call at KaedeBonsai-en

best
DSD sends
You are right ..Matt's a buddy of mine and he gave me some small red Toyo Nishikis to graft to my big tree last year and the leaves on those are noticeably smaller. I will send him a text soon. Thanks for your help DSD!

Top Bottom