Flowering red currant

paulbrennan

Seedling
Reaction score
HI folks - I'd like to try to bonsai a flowering red currant from my property - which is otherwise waste. I'm wondering where to begin and when is the best time to take out of the ground, chop the trunk, etc. Do I have to chop while in the ground and then dig out next spring and put in a training pot - or maybe put in a big pot now then chop next year?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
HI folks - I'd like to try to bonsai a flowering red currant from my property - which is otherwise waste. I'm wondering where to begin and when is the best time to take out of the ground, chop the trunk, etc. Do I have to chop while in the ground and then dig out next spring and put in a training pot - or maybe put in a big pot now then chop next year?
Greetings!

I advocate strongly for Ribes as bonsai... They have a completely different flow, approach and chain of "events" than Common TinyTree species.

I have learned much about caring for them in containers and utilizing bonsai techniques for their future beautification.

I can help you...

But I need more information, first. Like approximately where on this marble you are located... This will effect many variables. (Specifically related to collection success)

As can age/size of specimen... Size of accessible rootmass (real important for Fall collection in colder climates).. ECT.

So a picture would really help us get things moving.

🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a fan too.

Cuz they don't die.

Everything roots.

Had it grow straight through winter the first year.

The timing is YOUR timing.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
However, improperly timed/performed collection can cause die-back to the soil level..

Once they are healthy... They push 4 flushes throughout their 'shorter" growing season, and are tough as nails.

Learning the natural rhythms of the species, any species, is important.

So to contradict what Sorce is saying here...

The timing... Is the plant's timing.... If you KNOW the plant's timing, t'will be a much smoother journey

paulbrennan

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks this is not a great photo but it gives some idea of the base area. Looking at it again, it's bigger than I thought at the basebut I'm completely fine with a non-traditional approach. All of my bonsai are bigger. I am in Victoria, BC so temperate and mild with wet winters. I have a small greenhouse too so I can baby some bonsai if necessary.

Attachments

• tempImagerNCWaw.png
    tempImagerNCWaw.png
    768 KB · Views: 53

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @paulbrennan, I have some currant bushes I’m thinking of digging up for bonsai as well and I’m in Nanaimo (1.5 hrs. north). I was thinking that the best course would be to do a cut back and dig with a decent size rootball in, maybe, April when the buds are starting to swell. However, I would rather dig them in Fall, as that is when I have way more time. Once the weather cools here a bit (still a few more 80F+ days in the forecast) we usually have a long mild and wet autumn, which I suspect would be fine for root recovery … I guess I hope someone else in the PacNW will chime in with some advice for dealing with deciduous tree collection timing.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Right now, actually is when my currants are about to start action at lower maristem points..(potentiating next year's first growth). ..so if you have access to them, either collect in fall OR spring... Either way, I'd give them a prune... Start setting yourself up for success.

Then, once recovered, you can follow the care tips outlined for Ribes in some of my other threads. (I WAS working on a more comprehensive care guide, but the 'pupil specimen' made some stylistic decisions of it's own after collection.. so my outlining of "Ribes bonsai approach" will have to continue with my contest trees)

paulbrennan

Seedling
Reaction score
We were told "flowering red currant" by previous owner - they are quite popular here, Vancouver Island as an ornamental. I see that it is a type of gooseberry, well spotted!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes yes! I noticed a couple small leaves in your picture.. Gooseberry!

They(Ribes) are ALL just referred to as 'currants'.

But the gooseberry Ribes are actually my favorite for "TinyTree Techniques"... But (for ANY Ribes) the "ins and outs" for PROPER response are quite a bit different than standard species... So if you keep me posted, I can help.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(They are popular here, too. It's a cold-weather thing... Although I BET I'm a little colder than you... I'm curious..I'll check it out)

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What an interesting site that is @HorseloverFat, thanks for the link!

The OP lives on southern Vancouver Island, and I live on what is considered central Vancouver Is, both are considered a Mediterranean-like climate, even milder than Seattle, aka paradise : )

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

The OP lives on southern Vancouver Island, and I live on what is considered central Vancouver Is, both are considered a Mediterranean-like climate, even milder than Seattle, aka paradise : )

PNW is my favorite place in the world (so far)!

More specifically, Eugene OR and Weeeeestward. 🤣

Your area sounds wonderful, I am part Mediterranean (Andalusian, Native Balkan, Native Italian peninsula) so my skin enjoys that "warm or cool, not too hot or cold"-climate.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

When I used to skateboard (Just amateur, shop sponsorships), Vancouver was considered a skateboarding nirvana.

I have never been that far west in cAnada (I typed it like that on purpose! 🤣🤣🤣).

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes yes! I noticed a couple small leaves in your picture.. Gooseberry!

They(Ribes) are ALL just referred to as 'currants'.

But the gooseberry Ribes are actually my favorite for "TinyTree Techniques"... But (for ANY Ribes) the "ins and outs" for PROPER response are quite a bit different than standard species... So if you keep me posted, I can help.

🤓
Dont your Canadian Gooseberries have vicious thorns? theyre a pain when it comes to fruit picking!!
The Flowering currant is a popular garden shrub here in UK too but Ive never seen fruit on it!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dont your Canadian Gooseberries have vicious thorns? theyre a pain when it comes to fruit picking!!
The Flowering currant is a popular garden shrub here in UK too but Ive never seen fruit on it!

Ribes here, that AREN't "canes".. do not have thorns.

😎

Top Bottom