Flowers 2017

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Starting early this year. We have not had any cold weather this winter, have yet to see temps even close to freezing. Just a days in the upper 30's lower 40's, enough to make the trees lose their leaves. The only thing is that the azaleas think it is spring and are now throwing out some flowers. Not really happy about it as I would rather they wait until spring, if we get a cold snap, I will now have to shelter them all, well the ones in pots anyway.

First up is an unknown azalea, I think it is a kurume. It has multicolored flowers and it very pretty when in full bloom. I don't think that I will see it this year as it is slowly opening the buds a few at a time.
DSC02073-1.jpg

DSC02074-1.jpg

DSC02075-1.jpg

DSC02076-1.jpg

DSC02077-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Next a few landscape azaleas:

Candy stripe, this gal has been blooming for the last couple of weeks. One positive for this time of year is that the flowers last longer since it is somewhat cooler.

DSC02080-1.jpg

Coral bells:

DSC02081-1.jpg

I forget the name of this one but I really like the flower petal shape:

DSC02087-1.jpg

Unknown, but I think it is a satsuki. The flower on this one is really unique, the stamen have morphed into a petal-like appearance. The flowers got a little beat up in the bad weather we have had of late:

DSC02089-1.jpg

Unknown azalea, I like the color on this one, kind of an orangey-red:

DSC02090-1.jpg

Satsuki, Momo-no-Haru. It always has a few flowers on it throughout the year:

DSC02092-1.jpg

Watchat azalea:

DSC02093-1.jpg

Satsuki, chinsan or chinzan, fixing to pop:
DSC02094-1.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nothing wrong with an early start on great bloom pics...hope it doesn't negatively affect them at all.
Pics 4, 5 and 6!...Wow!
Awesome!
Made me remember why I started doing bonsai!....the azaleas sucked me in!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Both of my hino crimson azaleas in pots are throwing out random flowers:

DSC02083-1.jpg

Not in flower, but this azalea, named Congo, has unique winter foliage. In the summer the leaves are dark green, winter they are a mix of yellow, orange, red, and lime green. About 50% will eventually fall.

DSC02084-1.jpg

DSC02085-1.jpg

Last, a couple of non-bonsai flowers. A random angel trumpet:

DSC02072-1.jpg

And a random hydrangea. My wife really likes this one and it is kinda special to me too. I got married in 2012 and I took the hydrangeas out of her bridal bouquet and also from the church pews and rooted them.

DSC02079-1.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now that is a surprise! It has been very mild here so far but everything outside had been cut back quite a bit past Fall so doubtful anything will do that! Last January we did have a couple of roses and some crocus but nothing like that - Thank you for sharing!

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Those are awesome, how nice to see something so cheery in January. Reminds me how much it sucks to live in Illinois, though....:confused:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both of my hino crimson azaleas in pots are throwing out random flowers:

View attachment 127975

Not in flower, but this azalea, named Congo, has unique winter foliage. In the summer the leaves are dark green, winter they are a mix of yellow, orange, red, and lime green. About 50% will eventually fall.

View attachment 127976

View attachment 127977

Last, a couple of non-bonsai flowers. A random angel trumpet:

View attachment 127973

And a random hydrangea. My wife really likes this one and it is kinda special to me too. I got married in 2012 and I took the hydrangeas out of her bridal bouquet and also from the church pews and rooted them.

View attachment 127974
Those fall colors are so nice!
That's what I'm talking about!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Now that is a surprise! It has been very mild here so far but everything outside had been cut back quite a bit past Fall so doubtful anything will do that! Last January we did have a couple of roses and some crocus but nothing like that - Thank you for sharing!

Grimmy

You are always, welcome, Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nothing wrong with an early start on great bloom pics...hope it doesn't negatively affect them at all.
Pics 4, 5 and 6!...Wow!
Awesome!
Made me remember why I started doing bonsai!....the azaleas sucked me in!

Thanks, azaleas will always be my favorite. 4, 5, 6 and are pics of one of my flea market finds.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks! Head South, you'll love it.

Isn't snow in the forecast there? Also curious what the weather is usually like the last two weeks of April and if there is a lot of blooming going on.

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Isn't snow in the forecast there? Also curious what the weather is usually like the last two weeks of April and if there is a lot of blooming going on.

Grimmy

Yeah, the weather man said that there is a tiny chance. Most of the time it is just flurries, rarely any sticking. Best thing about snow here is that by Wednesday, it will be 70 degrees again. Forcast is for three days barely below freezing. I live close to the bay so we may not see it. I think it is a long shot for snow.

There are lots of flowers at the end of April. Temps range 50's - 60's at night 70's - 80's during the day most of the time. Sometime cooler, sometimes warmer, being on the coast the weather is unpredictable. All repoting should be done by March.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, the weather man said that there is a tiny chance. Most of the time it is just flurries, rarely any sticking. Best thing about snow here is that by Wednesday, it will be 70 degrees again. Forcast is for three days barely below freezing. I live close to the bay so we may not see it. I think it is a long shot for snow.

There are lots of flowers at the end of April. Temps range 50's - 60's at night 70's - 80's during the day most of the time. Sometime cooler, sometimes warmer, being on the coast the weather is unpredictable. All repoting should be done by March.

Thank you, looks like we will be at Pine Forest GA for several days in late April. I will PM you with dates and maybe I could bring my Wife to see your lovely collection some afternoon.

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thank you, looks like we will be at Pine Forest GA for several days in late April. I will PM you with dates and maybe I could bring my Wife to see your lovely collection some afternoon.

Grimmy

Going to Callaway Garden? Just went last week, it was beautiful. I live about four hours from there, but you are welcome to come visit.

John

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Going to Callaway Garden? Just went last week, it was beautiful. I live about four hours from there, but you are welcome to come visit. John

We will be close to there but we needed a large place that would allow the little dog. Also needed room for guests both from here and family members so a large 3 bedroom was the ticket. We have a few days to ourselves and a few extra days for travel home and some visits and such. This place to be exact - https://www.vrbo.com/25882

Grimmy

Top Bottom