Flowers 2017

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I looks like it is waking up. The redish leaves are just its winter coat. The ones that it does not drop will return to green. I think it is neat that you can kind of tell the flower color by the winter leaf color. Red, pink, and purple will have a redish tint; while white and white variations will have a yellow tint.

John
I don't remember there being three flowers coming out of one bud in years past. Is that normal or am I just getting old and forgetful?

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The plum is oh so close!

The climate being much warmer where you live (?), I would have thought that the tree had already flowered.

It seems the trees here are on the wait: last week it was 6/15 (42.8/59), today it's 2/9 and they forecast -1/7 (30.2/44.6) for Sunday. Maybe they're intelligent enough not to bud out before another cold spell:

Prunus (prob. 'pissardii') in the ground:

prunus-pi_170217a.jpg

Potted Prunus 'Accolade':

prunus-acc02_170217a.jpg
prunus-acc02_170217b.jpg

BTW, did you know that "une accolade" means an embrace, a hug... ;)

Ah, we're a nation of immigrants, but our cultural common ground is very "latin" indeed, very mediterranean :cool:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The climate being much warmer where you live (?), I would have thought that the tree had already flowered.

It seems the trees here are on the wait: last week it was 6/15 (42.8/59), today it's 2/9 and they forecast -1/7 (30.2/44.6) for Sunday. Maybe they're intelligent enough not to bud out before another cold spell:

Prunus (prob. 'pissardii') in the ground:

View attachment 132327

Potted Prunus 'Accolade':

View attachment 132329
View attachment 132331

BTW, did you know that "une accolade" means an embrace, a hug... ;)

Ah, we're a nation of immigrants, but our cultural common ground is very "latin" indeed, very mediterranean :cool:
We're not as warm here as people think. Being just above 5,300 feet at my house, this is very much considered the high desert. We can be very cold in mid winter, average lows are between 15°f and 28°for. The days can be quite nice though, it's common to have days in the 60°f+ range in December and January. We are still getting lights freezes probably 3 out of u days of the week, but we are in to 60°f-70°for rangexample during the day.
Fun climate lol

Aaron

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
average lows are between 15°f and 28°

Oh.

I imagined mariachis playing in the streets all year round, sweating under the sun ! :D

Clichés, you know. Zorro, Sergeant Garcia, etc. :rolleyes:

-9.4444444444°C (15°C) is the lowest we got here this winter, and when it lasts for more than a couple of days, it's an "unusually cold winter".

So it goes to show that we (we) don't know much about each other's environment: North America is so big, and some states in the US have such different landscapes and environment.

Of course, staying in the "high desert" makes it a totally different story: rain is essential for J. maples, and I suppose the summers can be very hot.

Acer p. : partial shade in summer (where you live maybe mostly shade), high humidity, and outside in the winter with reasonable rain...

Last edited:

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
This Prunus Krauter Vesuvius received from Brent 2 weeks ago with no leafs. I saw leafs start coming out few days ago, then next morning very surprising and amazed flowers popping out.
Prunus Krauter Vesuvius.jpg

Next my flowering quince from cutting. The sun's reflection on the flower's petals :)
Quince.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I said this on a different thread earlier. "I was literally wondering this morning just when the first picture of new Japanese maple leaves would pop up on the forum. Coincidence? Lol"

Aaron

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It was raining today so I did not get much done, but I did get this one trimmed and wired. I don't know the cultivar, but I don't think it is a satsuki, if you happen to know, give me a shout.

Before

DSC02622-1.jpg

After

DSC02623-1.jpg

Keep in mind that after it comes out, it is semi deciduous, I will be cutting most of the branches way back. I just wanted to get some movement in there, eliminate some unnecessary growth, and enjoy some of the flowers longer.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was raining today so I did not get much done, but I did get this one trimmed and wired. I don't know the cultivar, but I don't think it is a satsuki, if you happen to know, give me a shout.

Before

View attachment 133112

After

View attachment 133113

Keep in mind that after it comes out, it is semi deciduous, I will be cutting most of the branches way back. I just wanted to get some movement in there, eliminate some unnecessary growth, and enjoy some of the flowers longer.
Kind of makes me think Satsuki, but with so many azalea cultivars, I wouldn't swear to it. Regardless of name..............good work.

Top Bottom