Flowers 2018

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Among the new additions to my ever growing plant collection. Sinningia Sellovii. A tropical with tall stems that become covered in these hanging red flowers. Supposed to be very attractive to the hummingbirds.
20180521_100454.jpg

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And the kogetsu...
kogetsu-may-2018-jpg.193716

Wow that outlined/highlighted flower is gorgeous!

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks. I got both trees from Mr. Murayama in Sacramento. Both are cultivars that will simultaneously produce pink, white, and multi-colored blossoms at the same time. The kogetsu is definitely the more delicate of the two, and the blossom you mention is just stunning in person, as it were. I think some of the other buds are going to open with the same kind of pink edge.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Shohin Chinzan. Been raining so much, the flowers aren't lasting long.
View attachment 193928
Rain may be sending your blooms away but that's not the case with these rain lilies (zephyranthes grandiflora) that opened today. Or in my case heavy watering. Sadly they go just as quickly as they come.
20180525_170311.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Occasionally a bee stands on the hole and just flaps its wings to circulate air inside.
That's amazing!
I wonder why they are doing this... Perhaps for helping their eggs? Perhaps for taking care of their queen?
Do you have any idea?

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's amazing!
I wonder why they are doing this... Perhaps for helping their eggs? Perhaps for taking care of their queen?
Do you have any idea?

Well I just read that: Too much heat causes bees to congregate on the outside of the hive; too much cold can kill a colony. Too much moisture in the summer makes drying honey energy-expensive and time-consuming; too much moisture in winter can chill the bees and promote disease.

So keeping it ventilated will prevent heat amd moisture I presume.

Top Bottom