Flowers 2018

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
On the farm today, autumn is in full swing and the witch hazel is too. Actually saw first Witch hazel flowers in early September. I think it has a pretty long bloom period. Not very showy in the landscape. You have to be close to it to notice, especially with all the yellow leaves nearby.
IMG_20181017_153612770.jpg

IMG_20181017_153532161.jpg

IMG_20181017_153622593.jpg

I think it would be fair as a autumn flowering bonsai, but leaves are big, and bark is mostly smooth, but dark. Like wisteria, hide it except autumn and maybe winter.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello,

And my Viola odorata is in bloom at last. I wish I could also post its fragrance!

My! It must be sold as an "exotic plant" in Greece. Here it flowers in late February through May.

In the milder parts of France (south-west), they're used in confectionary, either to make sweets or as a decoration for cakes.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violette_de_Toulouse_(confiserie)

A recipe (in French):

http://ceriseclafoutis.canalblog.com/archives/2009/03/05/12787777.html

The frangrance, and the taste of this variety is rather strong, yet very subtle.

In late winter, early spring, my garden is full of the common species (not so fragrant), a few of them the white subspecies.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It is this autumnal time of the year and these beloved humble beauties spring up their little heads nodding down.

These Cyclamens love calcareaous soil and shade. I have plenty in my garden from a few that were given to me and settled there because they probably thought it was cool to flower at AlainK's jungle :D

Went for a walk at an Arboretum today, and there were plenty everywhere.

les-barres_181103c.jpg

les-barres_181103d.jpg

Top Bottom