Flowers 2018

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! I didn’t know people actually owned these! I assumed they weren’t in cultivation, that’s really cool. How’s it smell in person?

This is at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. They have a number and have had them blooming since 2015 at least.

The smell was not bad on this one as it was outside and the wind was blowing a way at first. Then there was a change in wind direction and the wife was saying it real stank, not so much to me.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. They have a number and have had them blooming since 2015 at least.

The smell was not bad on this one as it was outside and the wind was blowing a way at first. Then there was a change in wind direction and the wife was saying it real stank, not so much to me.
Interesting. I was just curious how they lived up to their name. Either way super cool

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I was just curious how they lived up to their name. Either way super cool

This one was just opening so not so bad. In the past when they had them indoors because of the weather you could smell them over 50 feet away. That one was further along in flowering as well.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
First looks to be ixora. Second one is weirdly cool!
They were in the Bahamas, so not sure what they are. But the second one was weirdly cool! The flora and fauna there, beat the hell out of the corn and soybean fields here in the Midwest!

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Had this plant for about 6 years before it bloomed. It was a Keiki that my grandmother gave me off of one of her plants about 3 years before she passed. I thought it pretty special that it bloomed for me this year, going through my divorce and all. Especially since she gave me her ring before she died so I could give it to my ex wife. Anyways, can anyone I'd this for me? 20180624_110319.jpg20180624_110329.jpg20180624_110332.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Had this plant for about 6 years before it bloomed. It was a Keiki that my grandmother gave me off of one of her plants about 3 years before she passed. I thought it pretty special that it bloomed for me this year, going through my divorce and all. Especially since she gave me her ring before she died so I could give it to my ex wife. Anyways, can anyone I'd this for me? View attachment 201754View attachment 201756View attachment 201757
My guess would be that is Oncidium Gower Ramsey. There are a couple similar hybrids, the Gower Ramsey was very common 1980 thru 2005, then 2 or 3 newer similar hybrids replaced it for the cut flower trade.

Top Bottom