Flowers 2019

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
One of the most important and under appreciated group of plants in North America, if not THE most. Thank you for sharing and growing! :)
Thank you! Only I haven't been growing it. I hope to collect some seeds. These grow along the highway and properties north of Ft Worth. I did some quick research and I think these are Antelope-horn green milkweed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One of the most important and under appreciated group of plants in North America, if not THE most. Thank you for sharing and growing!
Is that the same milkweed that the wanderer butterflies feed on? We have an imported weedy one over here but wanderer butterflies still turn up to lay eggs. not sure if they fly from here back to South America for the winter though. I tagged a few of the butterflies many years ago for a researcher studying migration of the species here but never heard the results.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes! Milkweed (there are different types) is the only plant that Monarch Butterfly caterpillars feed on. They do not feed on anything else. They’ll literally starve to death if there is no milkweed around.

No milkweed, no monarchs.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Finally a full flower.

View attachment 240386

More to come too. Once the show is finished I'm going cut it back and see how well it back buds, hopefully take some cuttings as well.

View attachment 240387

Beautiful
and looks very Bonsai-able.
I don't remember what species this is, and whether it was an easy to grow, or difficult to grow Australian native.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Beautiful
and looks very Bonsai-able.
I don't remember what species this is, and whether it was an easy to grow, or difficult to grow Australian native.

It is very pretty and shows some good traits already like small, compact leaves. My guess is it should backbud and tighten up even more with some cutting back, at least while it is young.

This one is Callistemon viridiflorus, mostly as a species they are quite forgiving but I guess there will always be an exception. So far this seems cheerful enough, certainly brightens up the day.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This little mutant quince will never have true bonsai potential, but she is the first thing in my motley collection to bloom. I feel like we're about three weeks behind because spring has been unusually cold this year, many overcast days. I got a total of seven on the first of June last summer, and some are turning out nicely, but this is the only one to bloom so far. Nice to enjoy over coffee this morning.
first quince.jpg

Top Bottom