Flowers 2019

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The Japanese quince flower buds are swollen here, but at my sister's, 300 km (200 miles) westward, on the Atlantic coast, they've been in full bloom for nearly a month. No photos, sorry ;)

Crocus, and the first leaves of an "Orchis bouc" getting ready in my garden.

Crocus,crocus_190215a.jpg
crocus_190215b.jpg
Orchis-bouc_190215.jpg

"Orchis bouc" (Himantoglossum hircinum, the lizard orchid) got its name from the smell of the flowers: "bouc" is billy goat in French. It's beautiful, but stinks.

Love stinks, yeah, yeah... :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That Cattley hybrid will have some stunning flowers. They really don't need much media at all, they are epiphytes and if you water them frequently enough, and if your humidity is high enough, they can live in an empty pot for that matter. I had a Broughtonia that was very happy wrapped itself around its pot that by the 4th year was totally empty. It was over 20 years before I broke it up and sold off the pieces. Do show us the Cattleya flowers when they open.
Getting close...
IMG_20190219_132708.jpgIMG_20190219_132715.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Went for a walk with my son and his dog this morning: the banks of the riverr Loire are 10 minutes from where I live. I wanted to see the wild flowers, but on the way, there's this beautiful Libanese cedar. That's why I don't really fancy Cedrus libani/atlantica trained with branches sloping downward at 30° like picea :

bdl_190220.f.jpg

Misty morning:

bdl_190220a.jpg

"Masto", my son's dog can't help taking a dip in the river, whatever the temperature.

bdl_190220c.jpg

You can see what I wanted to see in the background: snowdrops.

Other photos that can't really show the impression one gets on a cold, sunny morning by the river Loire:

bdl_190220b.jpg

bdl_190220e.jpg

I even spotted the hut of a troll. Or maybe a place where teens can come at night and have a couple of drinks, or smoke without the locals calling the sheriff. At least, it reminds me of yesteryears ;-)

bdl_190220d.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I guess it's an Iris so probably a bulb.

It looks quite small, so it may be a variety of Iris reticulata, which flowers much earlier than other species.

If they're over 25 cm (10 inches), they could be Iris xiphium.

There are also several species of Iris in Europe, but yours look like a cultivated plant.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I'm not sure, I think it is likely an escapee from someones yard or maybe someone is wandering around randomly throwing seeds about.
The larger ones are about 25-30 cm tall, also looks similar to I. germanica. Think I will dig some up and plant near our Fresia's.

Also this is a cool way to display flowers.

IMG_20190224_112756203.jpg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Finally all the orchids bloomed. I like the little purple one the most. One whole flower of the little one can fit in a petal of the regular sized one with lots of room to spare! Thinking about getting different verieties now :)
20190224_222350.jpg 20190224_222512.jpg

Top Bottom