Flowers 2019

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Look at this sneaky one! September flower on my kuro koji. It’s been high 90s for months. Unusual blooming, no?

Didn’t notice it budding or blooming until today and it’s beat up from an unseasonable rain shower earlier this week. No buds on any other of my quince.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Spring equinox today, here in the south and more plants are flowering in the gardens.

IMGP3331.JPG

Phebalium sp has lovely yellow flowers for most of spring here.
IMGP3333.JPG

Banksia 'giant candles' still flowering
IMGP3334.JPG

Flowering peaches provide structure, shade and add colour this time of year
IMGP3336.JPG

A couple of camellias
IMGP3338.JPG

Crabapple bonsai is also in full flower today
IMGP3313.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I know this is wrong, the leaves won't reduce, yada, yada, yada. But they were $2 on the clearance rack at HD. At least I'll have something to amuse me in the winter. I got 3 :eek:hd hib2.jpghd hib.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Spring sees a flush of native orchids flowering in our area. All our native orchids in this region are terrestrials and most quite small.
These were in nearby bushland last weekend:

Chiloglottis trapeziformis - Bird orchid
IMGP3349c.jpg

Caladenia gracilis? - musky caladenia
IMGP3354c.jpg

Pterostylis concinna - ruddy hoods
IMGP3357c.jpg

Pterostylis nutans - nodding green hood
IMGP3362.JPG

Diuris sp (pedunculata?) donkey orchid (Diuris genus has been revised and I haven't bothered to keep up with all the new and changed names)
IMGP3363c.jpg

Caladenia sp (another widespread and common orchid that has been revised and split into a number of superficially similar species. i believe our local form is now known as C. tentaculata.) - Green comb spider orchid
IMGP3366c.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Shibui
Love the Australian terrestrial orchids, they are tough to raise in containers, both getting the media right, and most difficult for me is remembering they are summer dormant. I did have a potful of a Pterostylis hybrid that I kept going about 8 years, then I forgot to move them to the "dry, don't water me, shelf" and they got watered a few times through the summer. Heat & wet and they rotted away. Have not seen pseudobulbs available in the last few years. Many are available, but only periodically.

Below is a dry winter, wet summer, monsoon region of Thailand orchid,
Habenaria rhodocheila, one of my favorites, and so far, I haven't screwed it up. For no apparent reason, it is easier for me to remember to dry out winter dormant orchids than summer dormant.

By the way, a Byron Myrick pot, it started out with 7 plants, the fact that there are only 2 survivors, with badly chewed leaves shows the problem with soft leaved orchids outdoors - bugs and slugs ate the hell out of them.

IMG_20191002_140819760-cropped.jpg

IMG_20191002_141023607-cropped.jpg

IMG_20191002_141111883-cropped.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Love the Australian terrestrial orchids, they are tough to raise in containers, both getting the media right, and most difficult for me is remembering they are summer dormant. I did have a potful of a Pterostylis hybrid that I kept going about 8 years, then I forgot to move them to the "dry, don't water me, shelf" and they got watered a few times through the summer. Heat & wet and they rotted away. Have not seen pseudobulbs available in the last few years. Many are available, but only periodically.
Definitely correct about summer dormancy. Just vaguely damp in summer is the go which is almost no watering. Mine are growing in used bonsai mix but I assume there must be some organic material for the fungi to feed on - mine is pine bark based.
The colony forming pterostylis are by far the easiest to cultivate. Many are difficult and we have some that have defeated every attempt at pot cultivation. I have plenty of tubers of a couple of the easiest greenhoods if you think your quarantine would allow some in. I assume they would be able to cope with the change of seasons?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Our quarantine is difficult, because all orchids are on CITES index. There's a few here, especially Pterostylis so that you mailing to me is not necessary. But thank you for the offer.

They make the season adjustment quick, usually less than 24 months.

Top Bottom