Flowers 2019

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mid spring and a new suite of flowers on show down here.

IMGP3528.JPG
The blue is Lechenaultia biloba. pink in the background is a Leptospermum hybrid

IMGP3536.JPG
Closer look at the Leptospermum. These are being used for bonsai now.

IMGP3534.JPG
Chamelaucium ciliatum - Albany wax flower

IMGP3537.JPG
Prostranthera ovalifolia

IMGP3538.JPG
Rulingia hermanniifolia. These are usually just a small spreading shrub so doesn't produce a thick trunk but can be used for bonsai. i haven't been able to keep it alive in a pot for more than a few years.

IMGP3544.JPG
Bearded iris are midway through flowering. New colours opening each day.
IMGP3545.JPG

IMGP3549.JPG
Mollis azalea

IMGP3553.JPG
Another spectacular Aussie native - Telopea speciosissima (waratah)
IMGP3554.JPG

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Choisya ternata, in French "Oranger du Mexique".

It flowers in the spring, and then in autumn, comes from the south-west of North America, but has nothing to do with the "citrus" genus : the smell of the flowers though is very similar to lemon or orange trees, and here, it's the last smell of flowering trees before the winter frosts..

choysia-ternata_191028a.jpg

When I go to check my mail, I can smell the perfume. Nice...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@petegreg - love the fuchsia, first as a flowering houseplant, but once they get some age, they really do make neat flowering bonsai. They get a nice flaky bark.

Chrysanthemum 'Yukari' - one of the Gnome type mums. It develops a woody stem with time. Nice small flowers, yellow central and pink ray florets. This is a first year cutting from King's Mums. They are still in business under new owners, one of the few sources of Gnome and Cascade type mums.

The gnomes are dwarf, and develop woody stems. If you can get their winter care down, they can live a long time, more than 10 years, which "ain't bad for a mum". The wood is herbaceous, rather than true wood, so is brittle, needs to be wired while green, before it gets brittle. Usually grown by clip and grow. They are usually only zone 7 hardy, I lost previous efforts to winter rots, they got stored too wet.

Yukari - flowers
IMG_20191103_210900492cropped.jpg

after pruning, ready to store for the winter.
IMG_20191106_130557224 cropped.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Here are a few more early summer Australian natives for any orchid fans out there. The orchid have developed some weird and wonderful flowers to attract specific pollinators.

Cryptostylis subulata - tongue orchid
IMGP3713.JPG

Calochilus sp. Not surprising these are known as beard orchids
IMGP3916.JPG

Gastrodia sp. Potato orchid or Cinnamon bells
IMGP3923.JPG

Dipodium roseum - pink hyacinth orchid. This and the previous species are sapphrophytes. They have no leaves at all and exist entirely on decaying organic matter. As far as I know they are not able to be cultivated.
IMGP3895.JPG

Caleana major - Flying duck orchid. These are quite small and easily overlooked in the bush until you know what to look for. Flowers about 3/4" long
IMGP3929.JPG

Even smaller and harder to spot - Caleana minor - small duck orchid. Flowers around 1/2". These often grow with the larger Caleana major.
IMGP3930.JPG

Finally one from a genus most will be familiar with. Cymbidium suave. Unlike the previous terrestrial species this one is an epiphyte and grow in hollows in old trees, rotting stumps and logs. Small 1" flowers in typical cymbidium racemes. These grow quite far south along the NSW coast. I believe they cannot be cultivated??
IMGP3920.JPG

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes they do, that why I have several;)

I have a Barbados Cherry that I acquired since last August and it haven't flowered once yet...what am I doing wrong? it is a mature tree with woody looking bark. Thanks

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a Barbados Cherry that I acquired since last August and it haven't flowered once yet...what am I doing wrong? it is a mature tree with woody looking bark. Thanks
Did you have it shipped? Maybe, it was just acclimating to a new home. Mine are in full sun spring-fall, and bloomed on an off the whole time. I usually get some blooms in the winter, but not nearly as many as when they are outside.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Did you have it shipped? Maybe, it was just acclimating to a new home. Mine are in full sun spring-fall, and bloomed on an off the whole time. I usually get some blooms in the winter, but not nearly as many as when they are outside.

Thank you! I had it shipped but it was in NJ so probably the same USDA zone as MD. Maybe the issue is how much sun it was getting in the summer, I need to cut some tall trees in my back yard this spring to provide my bonsai more sun as all of them only get afternoon sun now. The front of my house get full sun but I can't leave my bonsai in the front yard lol.

Top Bottom