Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
A Leptospermum (teat tree) prostrate cultivar
View attachment 334766

@Shibui
Maybe you can help me.
I have killed all Leptospermum, Manukas, NZTeatree, no matter how they call them, I kill every one that reach my hands.
Red, pink, white, any cultivar.
It's not the climate, it's not the care. Last one was doing ok for 8 months, and I went to sleep one night, next noon it was dead. No wilting, no warning, no pests.
Is there a fenomenal secret to grow Scoparium as a bonsai, besides never touching its roots? Thanks for your help.

Below, one of the deceased:
20201017_172128.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Clicio
I've killed a few too. Leptospermum scoparium is notorious for being difficult to keep alive. It is notorious for dropping dead after root disturbance. Somewhere I read a trick, after having given up on the species, so I have not tried it. One grower recommended to keep pots in a shallow tray of water, keep the water deep enough so 2 or 3 cm of the bottom of the pot is submerged. This means it is kept wet rather than just moist.

But the warning is, I have never tried this myself. I do not know if it works. I killed a couple and quit trying years ago. Other species of Leptospermum are supposedly not as difficult as L scoparium.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio
Leptospermum scoparium is notorious for being difficult to keep alive.One grower recommended to keep pots in a shallow tray of water, keep the water deep enough so 2 or 3 cm of the bottom of the pot is submerged. This means it is kept wet rather than just moist.
Well, thanks Leo, that's a trick I have never used on Scoparium. In fact I was mostly afraid of overwatering them until I found they die in less than 6 hours if you let them dry out.
The point is, they just love to die on you!
But...
I"ll try again using the wet tray and will post the results here. Thanks again!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have killed all Leptospermum, Manukas, NZTeatree, no matter how they call them, I kill every one that reach my hands.
Red, pink, white, any cultivar.
Not sure that I can help directly as I only have one Cv of scoparium in pots. Thy do have a reputation for not tolerating root reduction but I have not seen that (yet).
They definitely like water. In a modern, open mix I don't think they can be overwatered but it is quite easy to kill with lack of water and my guess is that is what has happened. The problem is compounded by rapid root growth. Pots quickly fill with roots and it becomes difficult for water to soak in then the roots get slowly drier and drier despite normal watering.
Do you have access to other types of tea trees? I've had a lot better results with other garden cultivars based on different species. The pink flowered ones with green centers are particularly good and very attractive in flower - Leptospermum 'Mesmer Eyes' and L. 'Aphrodite' are a couple that seem to be better than scoparium varieties. That's probably because they are hardy Aussies, rather than soft little Kiwis.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
They have just started flowering down here.
I think this one is called 'Aphrodite'
IMGP0614.JPGIMGP0615.JPGIMGP0616.JPG

It seems to tolerate root pruning without any problems. I've removed 75% of the roots without harm to the trees. I have not yet tried pruning to bare wood but this one could be a candidate for a trial this year.

Deano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I guess that's why I have so many, at least one is usually blooming. I like yours, mine all look like shaggy dogs. I didn't want to cut them back too much before bringing them in for the winter.
Thanks Carol, I only have 2 but my other one is a shaggy dog too.😁 Repotted the shaggy dog a couple weeks ago and first thing it does is throw out flowers, gotta love it.

Top Bottom